Job Fair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    MN-Sparky

Hey…there are several great sights to see while in the Springs if Casey
    has enough time on his hands. Like Royal Gorge and Seven Falls or even
    sights in Maniteau Springs (er…how ever its spelled)

will
    Keymaster

Job Fair starts at 1000, keeping in mind forecast snow for Friday morning and Denver traffic, is there a coffee type shop (Denny’s, IHOP, etc.) close to RPSC headquarters?  Thinking of a 0900 power breakfast to compare notes for all who are interested. 

will
    Keymaster

Here’s some feedback from the job fair:
    1.  Arrived at 1100, there were about 100 people in the rooms where the tables were set-up for interviews, that number seemed to say constant throughout my time at the fair (1100-1500). 
    2.  The line for shuttle drivers was the longest and the slowest – good luck to those who took a shot at being a shuttle driver!
    3.  I found some interest at three possible slots.  Logistics (supply materialsperson) has a high retention rate, so doubt that will pan out.
    4.  I’ll assume it’s a positive sign if the interviewer takes the time to introduce the candidate to other interviewers about the same position?
    5.  Could be seeing some of you on the Ice this fall! 

It was a good and busy day, saw a lot of old faces and lots more new ones hoping to head there this year. Im met some from this site as well but it was all the old friends which made it great for me, 4th season and my first time at the job fair, may start going there every year just for meeting peple. I saw a lot of folk from last year and I hear the retention rate overall is very good this year. I had 3 friends I brought there to introduce and try to help them get jobs there this year, well, 2 friends and my ex, hopefully they all get a start down there. I know a lot of folks are upset that there was only the one fair here this year and long lines but I think they feel there are enough returnees to where they do not need to have too many days spent meeting new faces and going through resumes. Sorry for the new folk but it sounds like its going to be harder this year to get there due to many of us returning, I heard some people applying at the FEMC table for trades positions and I know most from last year were talking about going back so its going to be tight.

I am getting ready for the trip south once more but thats dependant upon my ex getting something there so hopefully I will be seeing many of you in August or from October onwards, if not this year, hang in there and keep trying, I know some who spent some years trying to get there and they all tell me it was worth the efforts and perseverence.

All the best to you all.

Lucky.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

So hopefully you kept the names of the promising dept heads. Better yet they said to keep in touch, but in any case, even if you are not qualified, they may find themselves in a bind come september. You want them to remember you.  Don’t be a pest but don’t let them forget you either.
    Mike

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lucky, you are coming down with the ex?  That sounds like a nice change for you. Hope it pans out.
    Mike

Thanks Mike, see what happens in the meantine. Gonna be a god year though from the faces I saw at the job fair, looking forward to it already, again.

Lucky.

TheNomad

Hey thanks for all you help…I have been emailed the official application on hireright. I hope i get the job its for a Janitor position!
    Jeff

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Great, I’m applying for the summer so look me up if you make it.

If you have the hireright ap, you are probably going through the background checks. chances are good that you are in. The next crucial step is to do you physical and dental as soon as the packet arrives. You might even alert your doctor that it will be coming up.
    The process is you get the packet ,you do your physical with your doctor and dentist. It gets mailed to the medical dept in Denver where program doctors and dentists review the results. If anything is wrong, especially with the bloodwork and dental, you will probably be asked for a retest. As you might imagine by the time you get the first appointment, get it analyzed, ask for a retest, get another appt with your doctor, take the test again, resend it, reanalyse the results and so on and so on, a lot of time can go by. If you get everything approved early you are way ahead of the game. Some wait till the last minute to do the PQ and run out of time for the retests. They don’t come down. You don’t want that to be you.

good luck on the rest
    Mike

rocky

Hey Lucky,
        Don’t know if that’s good news or bad, about the ex. You seemed pretty happy at Tiki Bar the night your D was finaled (or that may have been the scotch).

Hahaha. I still have the pics. Found out a lot of other things got in the way but, we are going down as friends so she can see what the deal is all about down there. All 3 friends I went to the job fair with have been given janitor offers so they are all excited to be heading down, Hirerights stuff is done now and they are awaiting the next step. My P/Q. stuff is still hidden away, been busy and then forgot about it so thanks for the posts here for reminding me Mike. Sorry that you need a new roommante this year, come over to Ho Cal, you are always welcome there, Jeff will regale us with storyies and tales of the comraderie abounding in the lounge. I am supposed to be down on he first flight so I will hopefully get to see Lori before she heads off.

Theres a lot of things they will stop you going south with and some things which people assume will stop them which they allow. The paperwork will tell you most of what you want to know and things they are worried about may be ok if you have enough meds to see you through a few months until they get some down or your insurance can get some to you, there are waivers also but they do not like using them too much. Dont worry about it yet though, if theres something you are worried about, call them up and verify before you spend the money on testing. Best of luck to all and congratulations also for getting this far. I hope to see you all in August or soon afterwards, don’t worry about settling in, theres lots of us there to help and we are usually noticeable by our lost and longing to leave look. Make lists of things you would like to have there and look at the guide for the clothing they will give as well as what they suggest. You can get away without much of the stuff though and a few weeks before heading down, go through the list one last time and only bring what you think you wll really want. We can help there also as we have all gone through the same troubles in the past.

Have a great time all ad remember, theres only 16 weeks left until the first flights move down, mark your calenders with regular reminders until everything is finished, just as I am doing now, haha.

Lucky.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lucky is right. We can help with what to bring down.

The first hint- If you are bringing down anything to help you pass the time- Leave it at home. You will find that between you and your friends and the rec dept, you will have almost no free time.
    Bring things that are important for you  , but keep in mind that most everyday people will be asking you to do other things and you are going to have to tell them no if you want to do your own private things. If it’s not a priority, you probably won’t use the items. Almost everyone brings down too much stuff. After you have been here a few years you will accumulate the niceties of life, but leave that for your second year.

For me the only really important things are camera items, a hot water pot,  french press and coffee beans. That and my computer fill my free time.

Lots of musicians bring all sorts of toys. Skiers bring skis. I would absolutely get a good digital camera. There will be lots of photos on the common drive if you don’t, but you will want pics of you and your friends.
    Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.