internet hours on the pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NH_Matt

What times of the day is there internet access at the pole. Will I be able to plug in USB for my MP3 to charge on the computers down there? Am I better off bringing my laptop? Thank you, FNG.

PrairieDog

Hi Matt,
         The availability of internet access changes by several minutes a day, so access might be in the middle of the work day, or the middle of the night. I don’t know what the window is right now. Many computers down there have usb ports. I brought my laptop with me, and used it often, but much more in the winter than in the summer. If you decide to bring it, I recommend a hard case and hand carrying it on the flight to McMurdo and Pole as laptops have been broken when put in general baggage. I also recommend carrying valuables such as cameras on the commercial flights. A friend of mine had $2000 worth of cameras stolen from his luggage at LAX. You could also buy insurance, but that might not help if you are down there with no camera…
       On the clothing question, don’t worry too much about outdoor clothing. When you get to Christchurch, talk to some Ice folk about their suggestions based on your job and request additional gear as desired at the CDC. The clothing you bring should be the basics as outlined in the Program Guide and clothes to socialize in. People work hard at Pole, but there are frequent parties and social occasions. Bring clothes that you would wear at home. There are a couple of big events such as Thanksgiving, Christmas dinner and New Years that you might want to dress up a little for, but it is not required. You will see tuxedo’s, suits and Carrharts at the dinners:)
         If you are deploying very soon, you should just let go of any anxiety and prepare to enjoy a great experience.
    -Kevin

> From: mattmulaire@msn.com
    > To: antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    > Subject: internet hours on the pole
    > Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:21:41 -0700
    >
    >

>
    > New Message on Antarctic memories
    >
    >

> From: NH_Matt
    > Message 1 in Discussion
    >
    > What times of the day is there internet access at the pole. Will I be able to plug in USB for my MP3 to charge on the computers down there? Am I better off bringing my laptop? Thank you, FNG.
    >
    >

>
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
    > http://groups.msn.com/antarcticmemories/_emailsettings.msnw
    >
    > Need help? If you’ve forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
    > http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help
    >
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > http://groups.msn.com/contact
    >
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the “Remove” link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click “Send”. Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group’s mailing list.
    > mailto:antarcticmemories-remove@groups.msn.com

Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.