I know its along shot this late in the season…

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Iceboard Archives I know its along shot this late in the season…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i am trying to get a summer position at mc murdo. a friend who is already pqʹed suggested that as i donʹt have anything else planned might as well try. i have several questions i would like help with pretty please.i have heard there is often a last minute scramble to fill positions when people arenʹt able to deploy. is this trueʔ is there any way to make it known i am interested aside from the normal website application processʔ anyone in particular i should try to contact, in particular which jobs are more likely to be subject to last minute scramblingʔ i am very versatile, and will do anything, within legal and ethical boundaries of course. anyway i can be pqʹed, without paying for it myself, in case something (anything) opens upʔ do they hire massage therapistsʔ i have heard yes and no (more nos but it doesnʹt hurt to ask, rightʔ). more realistically: who would i contact for a job in the physical therapy department, as a cmt i have all the skills to be a physical therapy assistant. i have several applications submitted on the raytheon website for jobs that are listed as open, any idea if the job posting site is updated with any regularityʔ my life is already packed from a long distance backpacking trip this summer, (it was incredible) so i could concieveably drop everything tomorrow (really) and leave. on a final note, ill give a massage to anyone who helps me get a job on the ice . <ǃ-- s:wink: -->ʹʹ:wink:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:wink: --> i know this may not happen, but i would never know if i donʹt try, and stranger things have happenedǃthanks for all your input, mb

Anonymous

hi mb, welcome. are you a bike riderʔ just curious about your name…@molybdenum wrote:

i have heard there is often a last minute scramble to fill positions when people arenʹt able to deploy. is this trueʔ

sort-of. thereʹs definitely people who bail out, and often a quick replacement is often needed. the problem here is that, as a newcomer to the process, you have no way of bumping your application to the top of the stack. so unless you are uniquely qualified for some needy position, it can be difficult to call attention to yourself.

do they hire massage therapistsʔ i have heard yes and no (more nos but it doesnʹt hurt to ask, rightʔ). more realistically: who would i contact for a job in the physical therapy department, as a cmt i have all the skills to be a physical therapy assistant.

i wish they did hire massage therapistsǃ but, to my knowledge, they donʹt. (if iʹm wrong about that iʹm sure someone will correct me, and iʹll be happy to hear it.) there are a few people who do it on the side, as extra income to supplement their regular jobs, but thatʹs all under the table, so to speak. there is no pt department. there is a medical department, so if you had some medical training (paʔ) you might be able to get in there.what other skills do you haveʔ itʹs never too late to apply, but it does get more difficult this late in the season, especially if youʹre looking for a generalist position. you gotta be very resourceful and aggressive to get hired at this point. if you canʹt get on this year, perhaps you can attend the job fair next april and set your sights on a specific position.

Anonymous

hi glenn, i do ride, although not very much, which i hope to remedy as soon as i find the money to buy parts for my bike….a friend who is a bike builder calls me molybdenum (my name is molly), i sometimes use it as a handle. it started when he made me some ultra lightweight ice axes out of molybdenum steel bicycle fork blades and started calling them the ʹmoly tools.ʹthanks for the info, there are pts and assistants listed on the rayjobs website at mc murdo, i guess they are part of the medical dept. looks like resourceful and agressive is going to have to be it <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) -->i have not given up hope yet and have some more phone calls to make tomorrow when people are back in the office. most of my recent work experience aside from massage therapy has been administrative work. thanks again, ill post if anything wild happens and i find my self en-route…. mb

Anonymous

molly –the tropical heat must be getting to glenn, because mcmurdo does have a pt on-staff. we even had one over the winter, for the first time ever. last summer, pt patty even had an assistant pt (forgot the exact title), who provided pt-style massage on the pt patients.there are usually four or five regular massage therapists that do work on the side. they stay as busy as they want. i know because i was one of them. <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) -->but to answer your original question – no, they donʹt hire people to work as massage therapists. sorry.come on down in whatever capacity you can. get a feel for the place. youʹll love the adventure.take care.atlas

Anonymous

atlasthanks for the clarification.i have an interview as an alternate vehicle operator, im closer than i wasǃif i see you down there weʹll have to do a tradeǃmolly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.