I can’t believe they did this

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Iceboard Archives I can’t believe they did this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

imagine you quit your job, end your lease, fly halfway around the world, only to have your employer say ʹʹweʹre ending your contract. go home and salvage whatʹs left of your life.ʹʹit sucks. its unethical by anyoneʹs standards. and raytheon is doing it to people right now. again.think long and hard before you work for this company. theyʹll screw you over every chance they get.

Anonymous

man, that stinks. got any more detailed references by any chanceʔ thanksǃps anyone know when the denver job fair is going to be by any chanceʔ donʹt see it on polar.org yet <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) -->

Anonymous

i had that happen to me in 92. they called me the day before i was supposed to call about my flights and told me that i wasnʹt going. i had put my car up for sale in the paper that week and had to cancel it and look for work. they said that due to cutbacks, construction that year was reduced. another guy i know made it down to mactown in 94 and was there a week and they told him that his position was dropped and he was going back home.

Anonymous

wowǃ thatʹs not very nice. i sure hope that kind of thing isnʹt too common, thanks for the heads-up though.

Anonymous

well it happens for sure. itʹs usually a budgeting thing.both contract and full time positions. itʹs not a lot different than any other job in the states. you can be let go at anytime for almost any reason. to be honest, though, you only hear about one or two positions a year that were dropped at the last moment. thatʹs something like 1/10th of 1% of the total jobs down here. the rule is the opposite. as the beginning of the season approaches, people drop out on their own, or flunk the pq physical process or the drug test. we end up scrambling to find people at the last minute. if youʹve been hired and get the ax. ask your recruiting person to ask around and see if there are any other last minute openings you might be suited for. you are a carpenter and youʹve passed the physical, youʹve passed the drug test, you can leave on a moments notice, and they need an electrician assistant. you might be a shoe in. granted the pay may be less, but youʹll be in the system and will be at the top of the list the next year. mike in mcmurdo

Anonymous

mike i always like seeing you jump in when some of these discussions start getting off track. the reality is the congress does not provide funding as scheduled the nsf and many other agencies. in recent years the hill has not acted on the nsf budget request until months after the start of the new fisical year, which is also the start of the austral summer. when nsf does not get the funding hoped for something has to be cut. since science projects tend to be funded a year in advance of their field year the science support area can not be reduced. much of the rest of the programs costs tend to be fixed, like annual resupply by vessel and maintaining the three year round stations. something has to be cut when the budget does not allow you to proceed with the program you planned. i would not be surprised to hear that some of the folks that had their contracts pulled at the last minute are construction types. good advise to keep trying; we always seem to start the winter short a couple people at pole and mcmurdo

Anonymous

slartibartfast: april 8/9 i think.i had something similar but not as drastic happen to me at the beginning of the season, but it was still quite disappointing. i was an alternate for position this year. at the next to last minute (about 5 days before deployment) i was given to think i had a job, and should begin dismantling my life. at the absolute last minute, i was told that i didnʹt. a disappointment, needless to say. i just hope being in the system raises my chances for this year.

Anonymous

iʹm sorry to hear you were dropped at the last minute. my only advice to increase your odds are to keep in touch with the recruiting person that dealt with you. that person hopefully knows you perservered through the process. if you keep in touch you should be at the top of the list for the next year. the kicker is you have to make sure they remember you. donʹt be a pest, but donʹt let yourself slip back into the multitudes as well. jobs are more plentiful in the summer, but if you are a construction person, the bulk of the major projects are done in the winter when they can shut down buildings. there is less impact on the community then. for the most part the winter staff will be recruited from people who have been here before, but the reality is that in major construction years they canʹt find enough people. this year iʹm guessing that at least half of the construction crew has never been here before. that said, there is hope for all of you that want to get down here. i might add that when you go to the job fair or talk to a recruiter on the phone, remember that we work a 6 day a week ,9 hour a day schedule. you will be expected to work hard. donʹt give anyone the impression that the only reason you want to come down here is to watch the penguins. we get enough people here who werenʹt expecting that they need to work a lot. you will likely find yourself near the bottom of the list if you give that impression. even with the long work week, there are plenty of things to do around here. you have to find them and find other people who like to do the same things you do, but with the right attitude you will among the people who enjoy coming back year after year for a decade. six years into my decade iʹm still in awe of antarctica. and more so , this place has the most interesting group of people ever congregated into one place. sometimes its the people i like the best. good luck allmike in mcmurdo.

Anonymous

iʹve definitely kept in touch. and thanks for the encouraging words. i just learned that all of those positions have been filled by people coming back. but iʹm told i still have some oportunities. i figure on denver each year until i get something.

Anonymous

sounds like you are on top of things. what rep said is true. itʹs all about the budgets. itʹs no different than anywhere, when itʹs time for layoffs at your company, it doesnʹt matter if youʹve only been there one day, you are out with no recourse. as long as you are getting positive feedback, iʹll say your chances of landing a job here are high as long as the positions are available. maybe iʹll see you at winfly. we are beginning the drop into winter here. this and winfly are are the most beautiful periods at mcm. this is the time we get day and night with long sunsets and lots of colors. winfly is frigid, often colder than 40 below f. right now we are in the zero range. much warmer. almost picnic weather. by the way, what positions are everyone applying forʔ

Anonymous

thanks for all the info guys, canʹt wait for the denver job fair to get here to start applying some of itǃ anyone care to divulge who the right people to talk to there areʔ <ǃ-- s:wink: -->ʹʹ:wink:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:wink: --> mike – iʹm going to be applying for a few different positions probably. mostly thinking about ga, computer tech (what i do professionally,) mechanic (what i do for fun,) or maybe as an assistant carpenter/welder/electrician. iʹve got energy, enthusiasm, and a pretty varied skill set so hopefully something will work out. later. -ian-

Anonymous

there will be four million people applying for the ga jobs. put in for it, but remember that the gaʹs do the nastiest jobs and they look for young strong energetic people. the ga jobs are entry level jobs. once here they need to ʹʹnetworkʹʹ to find an in for the next year. gaʹs are not rehired a second time as gaʹs. actually there are 2 types of gaʹs. the above applies for the station operations gaʹs. the good side of being an ops ga is that outside of science groups they are the only ones with a good chance of getting on a helo and visiting the field camps. youʹll also meet most of the depts around town and sometimes get to help out on some choice projects. of course they might be hauling urine barrels as well. itʹs one of those ʹʹitʹs what you make itʹʹ jobs. some love it. some hate it. the other gaʹs are work center specific. kind of like the next level down from carpenter helper etc. each of the trade shops have gaʹs. they do shop specific jobs. the pay is low but itʹs an in. if youʹve worked on vehicles you could try the heavy shop(vmf) ga. your best bet though is to go for the jobs you have some experience in. there will be less competition than the jobs that are unexperienced. mike

Anonymous

cancelling the contract happens alot more than mike in mcmurdo lets on, and usually because rpsc hasnʹt planned ahead.mike, how the hell do people fail the drug testʔ get so stressed about it the night before that they have to smoke a bowlʔ i canʹt believe that it would happen very often.

Anonymous

while it is true that people losing their contracts has been happening a lot in the years since raytheon took over it isnʹt raytheon that is being a big meanie. the nsf has faced cutbacks because of the increased spending with the war in afghanistan and iraq. it is just a coincidence that it has taken place around the same timeframe as raytheonʹs contract. in some cases, the nsf has had big plans and told raytheon to hire all these people and then the funding falls through. that is why this mainly happens to construction people or those involved with new projects.basically, if you really want to do something about it, donʹt blame raytheon…donʹt blame nsf…write your congressman.

Anonymous

antarctic cat it sure is nice to see a reply like your from someone directly involved in the program that understands the reality of working in a program funded by the federal government. when the congress does not pass the necessary funding bills until the first quarter of the fiscal year has come and gone and nsf does not know what funding level they have for the program and are limited to the rules that apply when you are under a ʹʹcontinuing resolutionʹʹ and you have big expenditures during the first quarter due to the nature of the program itʹs a wonder that anything gets done

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.