human powered mcmurdo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’ve spoken to folks who’ve brought bikes down, and seen pictures of people riding around Pole. I’m curious though, are there “station” bikes? i.e. bikes lying around that are rideable if you’re inclined?

Somehwat tied into that question is one about shop access for non-employees of said shop. I’ve been doing amateur metalwork for a while (and applied for one of the ironwork-helper spots, but I think my lack of professional experience was a barrier). I would imagine that RPSC would be pretty tight with safety and “authorized personnel”, but I’m still curious. Is it possible to insinuate one’s self into getting use of, say, the welding shop off-hours?

The tie-in is that I had a fantasy of a McMurdo tall-bike gang. I have a friend in the cyclecide (http://cyclecide.com/) bike rodeo who I think may be persuaded to send scrap parts down. I don’t know how it would be received, though. Or even how possible.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

At McMurdo there’s bikes you can check out from the recreation dept.

Regarding shop access, I can’t answer that. Perhaps Mike in McMurdo would have a better idea. I do know it’s easier at the smaller stations, like Palmer and probably Pole too. Make some friends in the shops and they might be able to help you.

As far as tall bikes, yikes! I wouldn’t want to take a fall on that lava rock that’s used for graveling the roads. Maybe “get the lay of the land” before sending parts down? I suspect your first summer will be filled with waaay too many things to do.

Anonymous

@Glenn wrote:

Maybe “get the lay of the land” before sending parts down? I suspect your first summer will be filled with waaay too many things to do.

good idea. master plans occur to me all to easily.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Don’t count on having shop access. If your job grants you access you might have a chance. Being good friends with someone might get you in, but safety pretty much dictates that just anyone won’t be given access to a welder.

Anonymous

That’s more or less what I had assumed. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.