human powered mcmurdo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

iʹve spoken to folks whoʹve brought bikes down, and seen pictures of people riding around pole. iʹm curious though, are there ʹʹstationʹʹ bikesʔ i.e. bikes lying around that are rideable if youʹre inclinedʔsomehwat tied into that question is one about shop access for non-employees of said shop. iʹve been doing amateur metalwork for a while (and applied for one of the ironwork-helper spots, but i think my lack of professional experience was a barrier). i would imagine that rpsc would be pretty tight with safety and ʹʹauthorized personnelʹʹ, but iʹm still curious. is it possible to insinuate oneʹs self into getting use of, say, the welding shop off-hoursʔthe tie-in is that i had a fantasy of a mcmurdo tall-bike gang. i have a friend in the cyclecide (http://cyclecide.com/) bike rodeo who i think may be persuaded to send scrap parts down. i donʹt know how it would be received, though. or even how possible.

Anonymous

at mcmurdo thereʹs bikes you can check out from the recreation dept.regarding shop access, i canʹt answer that. perhaps mike in mcmurdo would have a better idea. i do know itʹs easier at the smaller stations, like palmer and probably pole too. make some friends in the shops and they might be able to help you.as far as tall bikes, yikesǃ i wouldnʹt want to take a fall on that lava rock thatʹs used for graveling the roads. maybe ʹʹget the lay of the landʹʹ before sending parts downʔ i suspect your first summer will be filled with waaay too many things to do.

Anonymous

@glenn wrote:

maybe ʹʹget the lay of the landʹʹ before sending parts downʔ i suspect your first summer will be filled with waaay too many things to do.

good idea. master plans occur to me all to easily.

Anonymous

donʹt count on having shop access. if your job grants you access you might have a chance. being good friends with someone might get you in, but safety pretty much dictates that just anyone wonʹt be given access to a welder.

Anonymous

thatʹs more or less what i had assumed. thanks for the info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.