How many Primaries don’t deploy?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics How many Primaries don’t deploy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MATKATAMIBA

I’ve been selected as an alternate for a professional/technical position at the Pole (not IT) for the upcoming 2009 summer season. I have to PQ etc., but I’m wondering what the no-show rate is for primaries. There may be no answer to my question, but it would be good to know if it is rare or common for primaries to a)get hit by a bus, b) find a new love they just can’t leave, c) not PQ, or d)just change their minds.

Neutron

Matkat,
    In the event “there may no answer to [your] question,” I would propose a mass movement in the direction of “b) find a new love they just can’t leave.”
    It would seem far less messy than “a)get hit by a bus;” far more healthy than “c) not PQ;” and depending upon the object of the unknown primary’s amorous notions, far less ambiguous than “d)just change their minds.”
    Of course, that could also be just the hopeless romantic in me too…
    Back to watching “Sleepless In [Denver]” for me. 😥
    Neutron

MATKATAMIBA

Oh I don’t know. I’ve had occasions where I might better have chosen the bus. 🙂

Neutron

LOL…Well, in hindsight, I guess I’ve got to give you that one.
    In closing, this might be better suited to the “male:female ratio on the ice” thread, but:
    “The battle of the sexes will never be won as long as we keep sleeping with the enemy.” ~ Emo Phillips

MATKATAMIBA

Ok everyone: back to the topic…
    How often do primaries not show up?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

relatively often. That said they might hire 15 carpenters or materialspersons and maybe 1 or 2 don’t pq. Things will get desperate and chances better closer to and just after the deployment dates in October as the noshows don’t necessarily let everyone know early they plan not to attend.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

It’s really kind of random. In larger departments (fleet OPs, facilities, logistics, housing, etc) you can bet that at least a few people will NPQ. For areas where there’s only one or two people in any position (science, medical, specialized trades) it’s hard to predict. It does seem that new-hires NPQ a lot more often than returnees.

Last year the primary (to replace me) bailed out, and four (!) alternates either NPQ’d or didn’t pass the background check. In the end they didn’t find anyone and had to re-assign my work to people already on the Ice. That’s highly unusual.

skua77
    Keymaster

I second ScienceTech’s comment. Depending on the position, you’ve got a fairly good shot. PQ and stand by, if anything the McMurdo folks may even decide to grab you up. And even if not, more than one summer person hired for Pole shows up and gets altitude sickness or smething and ends up needing replaced ASAP. Happened last November to someone in a one-off position.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.