how many are nervous?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    1sweetkimmy

whats it like to be new at going to antarctica?

MightyAtlas

It’s magical, and wonderous, and people will call you FNG (pron. ‘fin-gee’)…

a

MightyAtlas

What Springfield are you from, Kimberly?  I’m from one, myself.

atlas

1sweetkimmy

Atlas,
    I am from Springfield Vermont, the new home of the Simpsons. How about you?
    I am waiting to hear back from NANA for the position in the store department down there, I have a lot of retail experience. Can I bring my dog with me? She wieghs 30lbs.

1sweetkimmy

Rick is my b/f he’s the one thats been asking about the auto parts and stuff look at my profile youll see

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

> whats it like to be new at going to antarctica?

Yeah, it’s magical, like going to Hogwarts…

…Except the Hogwarts Express train flies, it’s noisy, and it takes far too long. And the castle is either too warm or too cold. Daigon Alley doesn’t have what you need, and the owls all look like skuas. Your wand either emits fog or just doesn’t work at all. The Ministry of Magic is not on your side, in fact you’re better off not calling attention to yourself at all. Everything is cursed or jinxed. And there are entire departments filled with Voldemorts.

On the up side, there are lots of ghost-like apparitions running around. If you winter-over you might look like one too!

Have fun.
    😉

MightyAtlas

Kimmy —

Sorry, no pets allowed.  However, you can ‘adopt-a-penguin’ once you get here.  They can’t fetch, or rollover, but they’re still a hoot.

I’m from MO.  Home of Bass Pro Shop.  I’m so proud.

a

Anonymous

You Are full of shit there are no Penguin at Mcmurdo
    Percy A Simmons

Original Message

To: antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 2:17 PM
    Subject: Re: how many are nervous?

[font=Arial, size=4:bmp0dycj]New Message on Antarctic memories[/font:bmp0dycj]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:bmp0dycj]how many are nervous?[/font:bmp0dycj]

antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com?subject=Re%3A%20how%20many%20are%20nervous%3F
      atlascraig@hotmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20how%20many%20are%20nervous%3F   [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif:bmp0dycj]Recommend[/font:bmp0dycj] Message 7 in Discussion
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:bmp0dycj]From: [/font:bmp0dycj][font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:bmp0dycj]MightyAtlas[/font:bmp0dycj]
    Kimmy —

Sorry, no pets allowed.  However, you can ‘adopt-a-penguin’ once you get here.  They can’t fetch, or rollover, but they’re still a hoot.

I’m from MO.  Home of Bass Pro Shop.  I’m so proud.

a

View other groups in this category.

MightyAtlas

Guess you missed the couple of hundred Adelies we had between town and Hut Point, one Sunday, last January.

I’ve got pictures, too…

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Yeah, there can be hundreds of penguins or none. Varies from year to year. Last year was a good one. For 2 days it looked like every juvenile penguin for 50 miles in every direction decided to check out McM and the Swedish icebreaker making it’s way in.
    Mike

Anonymous

You mean they were in that trash dump.

Original Message

To: antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 8:41 PM
    Subject: Re: how many are nervous?

[font=Arial, size=4:f9x4kkwx]New Message on Antarctic memories[/font:f9x4kkwx]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:f9x4kkwx]how many are nervous?[/font:f9x4kkwx]

antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com?subject=Re%3A%20how%20many%20are%20nervous%3F
      atlascraig@hotmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20how%20many%20are%20nervous%3F   [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif:f9x4kkwx]Recommend[/font:f9x4kkwx] Message 9 in Discussion
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:f9x4kkwx]From: [/font:f9x4kkwx][font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:f9x4kkwx]MightyAtlas[/font:f9x4kkwx]
    Guess you missed the couple of hundred Adelies we had between town and Hut Point, one Sunday, last January.

I’ve got pictures, too…

View other groups in this category.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Kasper is trolling. Please don’t feed the trolls.

BoulderGeek

Total fingee here.

I actually haven’t even PQ’d yet. I’m a last-minute hire for IT networking at Pole. Just got the call on Monday.

I am obsessed with this experience. Yes, I am nervous. I dream about it, now. I hear many conflicting reports. The Raytheon team is all calm and confident for me. Others I have spoken to with several seasons of ice time are really warning me to look deep and question the whole thing.

I’ve lived in Colorado for twenty years, a few of them at 8000+ feet MSL in Aspen. But, I’ve never seen below -70°F with windchill. I have no phobias with isolation, am easily self-entertained (yeah, I hear you giggling and snickering…that’s another topic, I bet), but am pretty social and lively when the time comes, as well.

This will be an epic experience of body, mind, emotion, discretion, control and yielding, I am sure. It may be a big crevasse in which I have to arrest my fall and hope I survive. Or, it could be a new type of flight. It is all certainly unknown.

My folk are tentatively looking to have me leave CONUS ~10/26. Assuming I PQ, naturally.

Is there a dartboard at Pole? 🙂

SweetJeri1

I recommend taking a deap breathe and enjoy whatever the adventure seems to toss your way.  Looking forward to working with you!!

BoulderGeek

Well, I do love adventure. It will be hard to leave the toys and trappings of Rocky Mountain adventure life behind for something entirely more primal. I’m sure going to miss my road bike and motorcycle next summer (when the sunlight goes away).

Will you be at Pole, Jen? What will you do there?

Got my packet today, and scheduled all of my appointments for Tuesday.

Anyone know people who want to rent a house in Boulder county, Colorado?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.