Hello

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    coastycook

Hi everyone, i just started looking into going to antarctica a couple months ago and really just starting digging into it this month(at least surfing the internet a lot)….but i think i am too late for this summer??? I just recently got out of the Coast Guard from being on an icebreaker for 3 years going north…..i would like to see the south now ūüėČ
    I went to culinary school and was nightbaker on the ship….are there a lot of cooking/baking postions or is it just get what you can kinda thing…any info would be great. i plan on attending the next job fair¬†to really get serious about getting a job, from what i have read it sounds like it takes a couple trys! any info would be great…thanks, look forward to talking to everyone!
    Kristina

Hi Kristina:

You might also take a look at ECO the operators of the two Antarctic Research Vessels. http://www.chouest.com/

I know on the Gould they rotate through the cooks pretty regularly, and there could be an opening any time, rather than just the usual Summer & Winter seasons there are on the stations.

The pluses are that the ships see a lot of the shore of Antarctica that the rest of us never see, the minus, if you’re working the LM Gould, you spend a lot of time in the Drake Passage.

Good Luck
    Chuck K
    Palmer Station

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Welcome to the group.

While it’s probably too late for this year, I would apply anyway through Rayjobs. There is always the possibility of someone quitting. The winter crew hasn’t arrived yet either.
    You can see by the posts that we are well into the summer season and people are still being hired for this year. This is the norm. You have to pass a pretty good physical to get down here and many don’t get it done before it’s time to ship out. They get dropped and alternates get picked up. Sometimes they run out of alternates as well.
    As far as I can tell the only advantage of the job fair is that you get a chance to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Right now you have as much chance as everyone else. Give it a try.
    Mike

coastycook

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the info……are the jobs on through raytheon that are on the website when you do a search, are those the ones available or all the ones that are offered.
    I remenber last year when i was just searching around i saw a baker postion and when i went to go look this time i couldn’t find it……
    Kristina

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Kristina
    By now we are well into the summer season. All of the employees should have been hired by now for both summer and winter. The rayjobs site shows what jobs are open, not all jobs on the ice. Keep checking back as people drop out all the time. I’ll ask around in the galley to see if I can get any better advice for you.
    Mike

coastycook

thanks mike , i appriciate it! 

UNICODECALI

i am a bus driver  ,i have commercial driver license ,i want to apply and be able to antartice, but what position can i  apply , thnaks for your help

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Pretty much everyone who is a US citizen or has a green card can work at MCM. If you are a commercial bus driver, they would look at you for the shuttle driver jobs. Go to the job fair in Denver this year.
    Mike

coastycook

¬†I sent in my resume in February to NANA for a baker’s postion, I got an email a week ago from there HR, and she said that my resume was forwarded to the Chef in McMurdo and South Pole, just curious as to how long this process takes and when does the hiring usually end? Is that a good sign that it was forwarded or is that pretty standard?¬† ¬†If there is any info you have on specifics about the galley staff or the bakers that would be great. thanks

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Well, It certainly sounds good. I don’t know much about the NANA hiring practices to be sure, but it still sounds encouraging.

The good bakers are gods. The main course food while good, tends to get bland and standardized when you have to feed hundreds or even a thousand people. You can’t make everyone happy. Some want only meat, potatoes and gravy. Others want so spicey your eyes water when it’s setting in front of you. The chefs can’t win, but they do a pretty good job none the less.

A good baker on the other hand can make everybody happy. They too are under restrictions because you can’t use up all the butter in one month and have none left for everyone else for the year.¬† That is almost depressing for a dessert chef. However, the good bakers have a lot of variety. The good ones can make wonderful fresh loaves of bread each day and different bread each day. Some will make homemade bagels for Sunday Brunch. MMMMM. The good bakers are also production chefs. They can really crank it out.

On theme nights, like italian, asian, greek meal nights, a good baker will make a bread to match. They also need to keep up the supply of rolls for the burger bar nights.

Wednesday is cookie day. Everyone looks forward to that. They also do biscuit days for breaks some times.

A lot of the bakers are artists with food. There is something about taking a standard cake and making it look pretty.

Been_There

Minor point but I assume the HR email said they were sending your resume to the head Chef for McMurdo and South Pole, not to McMurdo and Pole.¬† This time of year the head chef for each station is back in the States, not in Antarctica.¬† Agree with Mike, it’s a good sign your resume was forwarded The head Chef at the station is the one that will say yes on the final hiring decision.¬† With your background I wouldsay you have a real good chance of getting hired.¬†If they contact you and say the position is filled, be sure to make it clear you remain interested and are more than willing to be a back up.

BT

coastycook

These were the names I was sent in the email…..[/font:3z02qzx7]
    I just forwarded your resume on to James Brown, Executive Chef at the South Pole and Mark Graebener, Chef at McMurdo station.[/font:3z02qzx7]
    [/font:3z02qzx7] 
    Thanks for your help guys……it sounds like it would be a¬†bakers job I would enjoy,……I do understand about¬†the butter rations;) we had the same¬†thing when I was on the ship, only so much per trip….and it kind of sucks but you learn to get creative and have fun anyway![/font:3z02qzx7]
    we’ll see, i’ll let you know if i hear anything….thanks for the info!! [/font:3z02qzx7]

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I don’t know James, but Mark should be in Denver now. I think you’ll do well. Good luck.
    M

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I know James. If you have the opportunity to work for him, I’d recommend it. Email me if you get an offer and I’ll give you more info.

g

Been_There

Looks like you are in good shape.  Neither of these folks are currently in Antarctica.  As I said earlier, they are the ones that would make the final decision about hiring so I would say you are in the running at this point.  Likely one of them will be calling you from Denver.  If they say they already have bakers lined up be sure to indicate your willingness to serve in other positions, assuming you are, and your ready to go as early as August (for McMurdo).  Folks drop out at the last minute and you can jump in and fill a spot.

Good luck!

BT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.