Health

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

iʹve been excited about antarctic possibilities for years now and as i began to plan on the recommended stalking of interviewers…. i find myself ill. itʹs not a big deal, obviously i am not shy about it, but i have been diagnosed with cervical cancer..not a particularly big ordeal. i wont die. i will be through with all the procedures and minor surgeries in 2 months…. without any comoplications i should be cancer free.my biggest worry concerns the ice.how strict are they on healthʔ has anyone out there been through this and found a snagʔ if i canʹt go this year…will i ever be able to goʔʔif anyone can shed some light i would really appreciate the insight.thank you

Anonymous

all of the above and more. however, the dental normally would not make you inelligible . dental is something that needs to be fixed before coming down. deep pockets need to be scraped. all cavities filled. sometime impacted wisdom teeth need to come out etc etc. if you get your exam done early you should have enough time for the medical staff to review the results and then ask for more work. on my end, if the dentist finds something in the first exam, i tell them to fix it and write it up on the papers to be sent to the program. one interesting thing i did have a problem with once was that the program requires the original x-rays. the dentist wouldnʹt give them up. they wanted to keep the originals and send copies to everyone else. i found another dentist. m

Anonymous

i was under the impression that it was 5 years. but it could just as easily be 2.however, there is always the waiver process. if you get turned down you can apply for a waiver where they look at your particulars and decide if they want to take the risk. waivers arenʹt easily approved, but enough go through that you would want to ask anyway. mike in mcmurdo

Anonymous

people keep mentioning the problem of ʹbad teethʹ making one ineligible. what constitutes bad teethʔ periodontal diseaseʔ latent wisdom teethʔ too many cavitiesʔ thanks, bing <ǃ-- s:d -->ʹʹ:dʹʹ<ǃ-- s:d -->

Anonymous

hello berge,i can make an educated guess to answer your questions (based on stories from friends in similar situations), but keep in mind that i am not part of the medical department and everyoneʹs situation is different… so take this with a grain of salt.you will most likely be able to go to the ice, eventually. but chances are they will want you to be cancer-free for at least two years prior to being pqʹd. thatʹs what iʹve heard, although the criteria can always change.if anyone else has better information about this iʹd be interested… i have an ice friend recovering from breast cancer and itʹs possible she may want to go back some day.g

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.