"Grunt Work"?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mjkoehler

Hi all,

I’m new to Antarctic Memories, although last summer, I was involved with IceBoard. Hard to believe almost a year has already gone by!

Today, I was browsing the forums and stumbled across this comment by Doc:

“It’s all in what your priorities are – the job you are applying for or getting to the continent in any capacity.”

Without doubt, for me, the latter is absolutely the motivation. Doc suggests taking “grunt work” like “General Assistant” to get there, but I don’t see such positions listed at RayJobs. Am I just misreading job titles, or are such roles no longer advertised by Raytheon?

More generally, what counts as “grunt work”? At 22, I just graduated from New York University, and while I have a burning desire to head south, I fear I lack the years of experience Raytheon seems to be looking for in its employees.

Neutron

MJ,
    The “general assistant” posting was up on the board earlier this week. I saw it on Monday if memory serves… I’ve read in another thread on this site that job postings are, at times, deleted based on an abundance of applications received. That same response went on to say that the deleted postings can occasionally be reposted if the HR folks deem that there is a need to deepen the applicant pool. This is obviously only what I’ve read…and I stress that my comment is not based on firsthand knowledge. It would seem to be all about timing, and being vigilant.
    Like you, I am a hopeful first time applicant, but with a whole lot more birthdays in the rear view mirror. I don’t know yet if that’s a good thing or not in this case. While I can’t offer you much in this response, aside from heartfelt encouragement, I will pass along anything I find out in my own hopeful searching for a way to the ice.
    Keep at it, and the best of luck to you in the selection process.
    Bill

mjkoehler

Thanks for the encouragement, Bill – best of luck to you, as well! We’ll be in touch here as the days march on.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Since the jobs notices pop on and off the Rayjobs site at regular intervals, I’d say have a number of resumes ready to go for the jobs you have in mind and check the site multiple times daily. We are hearing too many instances of it was on the list “last week”. If you see it apply now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.