- This topic is empty.
January 15, 2012 at 2:24 am #1353
I heard a couple of days ago that it was being towed into San Diego, but that apparently didn’t happen. Yesterday it was making good progress south of Long Beach but now it’s turned around and almost back to LA.
Something to watch… http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=WDF9844 Remember it is carrying pontoons etc to do an offload without a pier. May be an interesting ship offload.January 16, 2012 at 5:23 am #11484thepooles98Keymaster
We are referring to this boat as the Greenwave 2. I was told a long time ago when I was sailing that it is unlucky to rename a boat. That seems to be the case here. They made a big mistake, they not only renamed it, but they renamed it after another old falling apart boat.
That said, we are a group used to challenges and other than things being delayed, I’m pretty confident we can overcome the problems.
Now some of this is rumor, so I can’t totally confirm but the series of problems go like this. Anybod with better info feel free to correct me.
There are pontoon decks that can be moved up and down for the containers to sit on and still be able to put really heavy items at the lowest level under the pontoon. Apparently the pins wouldn’t retract to allow removing the pontoon decks and placing the heavy items below. The result is they had to reduce the weight and the left off all the empty containers that we would have loaded the garbage into.
They left a week late- got 2 miles offshore and broke down in the shipping channel. They fixed it, but during the sea trials they had coolent leaking into the oil. They got towed to Long Beach and had to have the top end of the engine rebuilt.
They left again, but had to go through sea trials. That’s why they were steaming up and down the coast. As of this morning a salt water pump broke and they needed more repairs.
If all goes well they leave tomorrow.
The modular dock and warping tugs to form a pier when they get here are heavy and on top of the deck. They are concerned that a storm with ice will make the boat top heavy, so when they get to NZ the plan is to remove a bunch of containers and fly them down in order to lighten the boat further.
Supply people are being asked if they can stay into march if needed to unload the boat.
ItJanuary 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm #11485thepooles98Keymaster
Greenwave 2 is on the way to NZJanuary 17, 2012 at 4:36 am #11486
Greenwave 2 is on the way to NZ
Yup. Yayyy! And they seem to have turned off their tracker at least for now.January 24, 2012 at 9:35 pm #11487
At the moment it is hanging around off of Hawaii waiting for parts for its secondary diesel…January 25, 2012 at 12:04 am #11488January 25, 2012 at 2:07 am #11489
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.