Going to Pole this summer…

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Going to Pole this summer…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Blueangels5

Hello everyone. I’m going to Pole this year as an Equipment Operator, as a fingee, and was wondering if anyone here would like to chip in any advice you might have for me. HR has been very helpful with my questions, but I’d figure I’d save their time by going out on my own and seeking the answers that I need. Unfortunately for me, I don’t have a clue where to begin. I hear the more veteran workers usually only take one bag of basic clothing as the majority of your clothing is issued in the CDC (apart from ECW, obviously.) Is this a smart thing to do? More specifically relating to my job, I have worked on a farm for every summer since I was tall enough to reach the pedals. This is the primary reason I got this job. I’ve never operated a Caterpillar D6D, 953C, 950G, or a 287 loader, which HR says that’s where I’ll be spending the majority of my hours in. Should I be particularity concerned about this, or will orientation cover the finer details of how operations work at the pole? Lastly, I want to hear any other advice you wished you had for your first year down there. If anyone is going to Pole this year, please let me know, and I’ll see you in October!

skua77
    Keymaster

Welcome to the group!

As a guy who has spent a lot of time at Pole not as an equipment operator…during my first Pole summer/winter the EO’s didn’t want me doing anything for fear I’d break something. That said, you must have impressed HR enough with the list of stuff you HAVE operated to get hired. The lead HEO this upcoming summer is a good friend of mine and I’m thinking he’d be understanding and helpful.

Blueangels5

Yeah. I’m sure in the grand scheme of things I’m merely over thinking things. As long as HR is happy with my job performance, then I’m happy.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry too much. A lot of the equipment is kind of old. I was a supply person at McM, and we all had to learn to drive the loaders. Because they turn by articulating in the middle, they can be a little tricky and the concept of using them with forks attached takes a little getting used to, but if you understand the concept of how hydraulics work, it probably won’t be a lot different than using forks or a bucket on a tractor. The bull dozers? I don’t know. There’s a lot more levers and pedals on one of those things. Good luck.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry too much. A lot of the equipment is kind of old. I was a supply person at McM, and we all had to learn to drive the loaders. Because they turn by articulating in the middle, they can be a little tricky and the concept of using them with forks attached takes a little getting used to, but if you understand the concept of how hydraulics work, it probably won’t be a lot different than using forks or a bucket on a tractor. The bull dozers? I don’t know. There’s a lot more levers and pedals on one of those things. Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.