Going Berserk!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skua77
    Keymaster

@Sciencetech wrote:

Too bad we can’t track these guys. The Berserk captain is at it again…

Last week I heard from Charlene Banks, twin sister of Leonard Banks, one of the Berserk crew members lost last year. Here is her blog with further documentation. http://www.lostinice.com/ And the rest of the story. http://southpolestation.com/trivia/10s/berserk.html (click to the bottom of the page for updates).

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

As we suspected, the “stowaway” is not a stowaway…

NZ Herald Article

Been There

Not surprised!

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

So I got to wonderin’, what happened to Jarle Andhøy and the Nilaya?

Looks like they broke a boom and are now headed to an Argie base on the Peninsula to fix it. (What could possibly go wrong?)

Also, here’s a translation of a recent Norwegian story about him… Apparently he’s complaining about poor communication from Scott Base regarding the equipment he left there, and he’s contacted McMurdo about the matter. Chutzpah!

thepooles98
    Keymaster

In the last couple of days before I left the ice, they sailed into McMurdo sound. It’s my understanding that they contacted both Scott Base and McMurdo.
    From my understanding they were given until the end of January to arrange disposition of the items and fuel they left behind and they did not do this. The items were shipped to New Zealand. It’s also my understanding that the Norwegian Govt was part of the process, but I don’t know that for sure.

There was a photo or two floating around that showed them. One was a photoshop fake showing a sailboat in front of McM. Another was the real thing and showed them a little further out near the edge of the ice sheet.

Their stated intention was to find their old boat. I don’t think they did.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

Aw. they got caught.

makiki

What.
    The friends I’ve told so far that I’m applying for jobs in Antarctica have asked how they can visit… Now, other than say “backpack with me in New Zealand when I get back!”, I have something to point them to and say “see, you don’t want to be these dudes. Now, backpack with me in New Zealand.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.