Glenn goes to the South Pole!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Yeah, there’s always a dusting of snow on the ice. If nothing else, it’s ice that’s been chewed up by the tracks of vehicles. The sea ice runway take almost constant grooming, especially when it snows a lot.

The funny thing about the sea ice is that it’s coarse and porous, nowhere near as slippery as freshwater ice. The wheels get enough bite to steer the plane but they still use thrust reversers (I believe that’s preferred way of braking). Breaking with the wheels is possible but done gently to prevent a spin.

Anonymous

Glenn,

It must be interesting to see all of the changes that have taken place since you were there last. I was there in ’93 for four days…slept in a jamesway the whole time. But even in that short period, I have some found memories.

I never flew on a C-17. CHCH to MCM was always on an LC-130, C-130, or C-141. The C-17 certainly seems like an upgrade to first class compared to a Herc!

BTW, I sent a goodie package to Darryn Schnieder of IceCube. Track him down and maybe he’ll share!

Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas!

Rob

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

The Air Drop discussion was split off into a separate topic.

Anonymous

Hey Glen,

Hope you are doing well. I enjoyed the photo’s of your trip down and the video of the airdrop. Was that the actual airdrop at Pole? I noticed lots of dark things on the ground. The station must have expanded more than I realized.

I hadn’t really thought about it in a while, not until I read your post, but after I spent the Winter at Palmer in ’94, headed to Pole for Summer ’94-’95, and then right back to Palmer for Winter ’95, I know how crazy that traveling thing can be. An interesting experience to say the least.

Not much for news really, just thought I’d check in and say hello.

Take care,

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.