Ghost of the Iceboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    m0loch
    Keymaster

Hey everybody!

As many of you probably know, Glenn (aka Sciencetech), at one time maintained another Antarctic related forum at iceboard.org.

Spammers, sql and (or?) php version compatibility conflicts and other reasons led to the eventual disappearance of the forums at iceboard.org.

Just a few days ago, Glenn was kind enough to provide me with an sql dump from the iceboard forums in the hope of merging the posts from there to here.

There is no ‘drop-in’ solution or script to accomplish this – and as I would soon find out, the many complications of doing something like this would prove to be a daunting task. Nonetheless, with a HUGE port call approaching, after which, I intend on being heavily involved in other things (announcement soonish (maybe?)) I figured if I was going to do it, it needs to be done now.

I hand coded a php script to import the iceboard posts into the forums here. After several ‘dry runs’ and some tweaks here and there I declared victory on the main battle, though there are a lot of skirmishes left before I declare ‘completion’.

So…here it is, the iceboard archives – have a poke around, there’s some interesting historical information in there. And if you see a thread that looks particularly interesting, ask a mod to restore it under “Discussion Topics”

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

OMG. Will, you rock.

That is fantastic. As things settle-in I may go through and weed-out some of the admin chit-chat and test posts. No worries.

Thank you so much for importing it.

Glenn

m0loch
    Keymaster

No worries Glenn……

I actually sort of enjoy doing this type of thing. We do have a two-day weekend and with shortened boating hours now I figure I may have time to further tweak the import process…now that the main routine has been done; doing something like excluding posts from certain forums is actually quite trivial – It would certainly be easier to just exclude posts that belonged to a forum called “administration” than for you to manually weed through topics…

so..I figger I’ll go ahead and work on coding version 1.1 of the import script – which will clean things up a bit, exclude posts from forum “administration” and perhaps assign a name other than “Guest” to those posts where “Guest” shows up as the poster now….

any other forums that I should exclude posts from?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

This is great. Iceboard, Antarctic Memories were two complimentary boards. Nice to have them combined. I never could have done what you guys have done.

Now all we need is to get http://www.theice.org into the picture somehow. Is Rob still around?
    M

Been There

Mike,

Believe Rob has moved on to things other than Antarctic. Have not heard from him or seen anything posted for some time.

BT

skua77
    Keymaster

Hmmmm. Theice.org. One of the great classic Antarctic web sites. I was really surprised that after there seemed to be so much demand for the URL, it has been bought, sold and parked several times since then. Here is the last version http://web.archive.org/web/20050829000444/http://www.theice.org/ as captured by the wayback machine http://www.archive.org/web/web.php in Aubust 2005. The last I heard from Rob myself, about that time, was that he was doing weather for a commodities trading firm.

m0loch
    Keymaster

O.K. Bill, I clicked the link….I actually remember that website…..anyhow, it would certainly be cool if we had the posts from there too…I’d have a go at importing those too.

oh…and what happened to this part of iceboard 😆 :

Been There

Will,

I think you need to ask Glenn that question.

Dave B

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Good lord! That’s an ancient forum that got swallowed up by aliens (they can’t stand Earthlings knowing the truth).

No fair using the Wayback machine… Some things that were deleted should stay deleted. 😀

skua77
    Keymaster

@Sciencetech wrote:

No fair using the Wayback machine… Some things that were deleted should stay deleted. 😀

Yeah, you’re right. Actually I’d completely forgotten the message board! Before he had that “iceboard” he had another excellent message board on his site that eventually succumbed to spam.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.