From Psych to Winfly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ridgewood

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The psych eval is a series of 2 multiple choice tests followed by and oral interview.

Basically the tests ask you the same question or some minor variation over and over and over again, interspaced by a hundred other questions. Most are inocculous and you see nothing in the questions. A typical question might be if you were a writer would you rather write about the theater or sports.

They look at the resulting answers, run it throught he computer to compare against the replies of thousands of other people and magically come up with a yeah or nay. Almost everyone passes. Sometimes people with tragic events recently in their lives don’t do so well.

It’s coupled with the background checks as well. One of the overriding themes are violence and problem drinking. If you’ve been arrested for violent acts or drunkeness, you will be looked at very closely.

As to your chances as an alternate. There is another thread going about this now, but in general, if you are applying to a department that has a large number of new hires for the same position, your chances are good. The smaller the field you are alternate for, the harder it gets.
    M

skua77
    Keymaster

Hmmm…
    Okay given the thread title, gotta ask.

The last I heard was that there was no winfly this year. But this wasn’t very recently. Can anyone say if there is a winfly or springfly or anything similar this time?

Ridgewood

spidey
    Participant

Here is what HR responded with when I asked about dates for the different contracts. It certainly doesn’t prove that there will be a Winfly, but at least it shows they have potential schedules in place.

Winfly contacts will begin in August of 2009; Summer contracts will start in October of 2009; Winter contracts will start in February of 2010.

Sort of stock reply, but it was in a personalized email.

-Peter

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The last I heard was that there is supposed to be a winfly. At one point they were proposing a reduced winfly, called Scifly, to just bring in the early ozone science groups and a little later. In the end they opted for a normal winfly. As always with budgets and all, everything is open to change right up to the last minute.

Ridgewood

capnsteve
    Participant

I have taken several psyche tests. They ask the same questions several different ways. They especially ask questions about alchol. There are two different tests, one about 200 questions and one about 600 questions. Questions like what would you prefer to be, a florist or an archetect? After the tests you will see a psyche person to go over the tests.
    cap’nsteve

Ridgewood

ricochet

The psyche test sounds exactly like the ones they have for police departments.

Is there a recent list somewhere of of the different positions/jobs at the pole location? Where would I find that?

spidey
    Participant

Hi Richocet,
    Currently hiring is handled through Raytheon and for a few things, NANA.
    You can go to rayjobs.com to view current postings. All the Antarctica positions are listed as Centennial CO. It usually does not seem to differentiate between McMurdo, Pole, or Palmer.
    The support contract was supposed to have gone to the winner of a contract bid this Fall, but was delayed/extended to Raytheon for another 12 months.
    Generally the positions are all posted to the public in early March for the coming Oct/Feb deployments. Existing employess have employee access to the rayjob site, though I’m not sure if there is much more there. Also don’t know how things will be handled this coming March.
    Hope this gets you started.
    -Pete

MightyAtlas

A correction, P2 – Existing employees have access to Raycats, not Rayjobs. It’s the internal Raytheon employment site.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.