First time as Alternate DA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

After 5 years of applying (and no word), this year I got through and have been offered a position as an Alternate DA. I’m going to do the PQ, fill out & sign the forms as soon as it comes in.

Are the chances good that I will get to go? Is there any likelihood of primaries not going?

will
    Keymaster

This is for South Pole station by the way!

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Every year there are numerous primaries that do not deploy. For various reasons it is not easy to get through the whole pq process and that opens up the possibility for you going down. It is not normal for all primaries to drop out, but the chances of you going down are at least fair and if you follow up next year and keep in touch with your recruiter, I would guess that you might cut through the red tape a little better next year now that you have been selected.
    Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi djespar,

What do you do in the ‘real world’? Do you have any other skills that may be useful? Perhaps we can provide some additional suggestions.

glenn

MightyAtlas

Wait a minute – You’ve waited five years to get a job as an alternate DA at the Pole???  If you have your heart set on being a DA, you could have worked everyone of those five years here at McMurdo.  We’re only 800 miles away from Pole, and a heckuva lot more fun.

What is it you do in the real world?

will
    Keymaster

In the real world I do bookkeeping. I have catering/food service experience.

When I said I’ve been applying for 5 years, I meant that I’ve been applying for all Antarctica jobs I’ve been qualified for (according to job description). It just happened that the first time I got a response in those 5 years was for this position at Pole.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.