fire dept.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’m a firefighter and an EMT in michigan and am greatly intersted in trying to get on the McMurdo Fire Dept for the summer (down there). How difficult is it to get on, in other words, how many people apply? Also, what’s the best way to apply for this position? I’d love to go to the┬ájob fair in colorado, but it’s a bit of a way from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

You know I’ve said this before but the best way is to go to the Job Fair. It’s the only way that you can meet the people who do the hiring and get a name of someone to keep in touch with. Outside of that go to http://www.polar.org and follow the job links to apply.
    As far as firefighters go. It sometimes can be one of those jobs that are hard to fill with experienced people. If you’ve been with a dept for enough years to get seniority, it’s hard to loose it all to fulfill a whim to go off to Antarctica. Some depts are foregiving and will give a leave of absense once, but I don’t think that is the rule. As a result in some years they go to the acadamies and hire relatively inexperienced but trained youngsters. There are also some people hired on out of volunteer fire depts.
    I’d still say that if you are experienced and can leave your current position, go to the Job Fair in Denver. I think I read on the website that it is being held in April.
    The year we went, we took a Greyhound bus on a 24 hour trip from Southern California to Denver. It was a miserable trip both ways, but I had several people who gave me their phone numbers to keep in touch with them.
    good luck
    mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘MSN Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.