Field Medic??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RR7110

Holy Moly i have hit the mother load!! I have been looking for a group of folks who have lived and worked in Antarctica since I was a lowly tourist in 2008. Ok now that that is off my chest.. I am going to apply for a job as a field camp medic. I have looked through the posts and read as much as was there and was hoping to hear more ( if any) about that job. I applied once before but due to some financial constraints just could not justify the move. Now that those are taken care of I am hoping to get my foot in the door down there. Does anyone know or has anyone been a medic in Antarctica? Any info would be great!

Ryan

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Ryan, there are a fair number of medical personell on the ice. They range from the full time staff at the station medical buildings to remote field camp staff. Some inbetween as well. The flight nurses accompany all sick and injured people as they get transported and while mostly they fly back and forth to NZ hospitals, they can also go to field camps. There are a wide range of skills, but generally a PA is a good thing to be. They have a hard time finding medical people, so with experience they go on down from there. Pretty much all the big field camps have a medical person. Some of the more remote smaller camps as well. In addition to medical, some of the remote science groups bring along mountaineering guides as well. I suppose if you could do that it would be a feather in your cap.
    Mike

Been There

Ryan,

What is your specific background and training as a medic? Will help in pointing you in the right direction.

BT

RR7110

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been a medic for six years, and a firefighter for five. I was initially trained as a wilderness emt, but needed to transition to a more municipal direction. Is that the kind of info you were looking for BT?
    Ryan

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Ryan,
    You should also apply to be a firefighter. They all have EMT training as well. An added benefit is that you get put through aircraft fire training. It’s another star in future resumes. As a firefighter, you will only get to the big stations. Some of the field camps get fire inspections, but as a new person you would probably be low on the list for that.

Once on the ice, you will have much better access to people who would hire medical staff for field camps in upcoming years.

This summer will be the last summer for the current Raytheon contract. They will be announcing the new contractor( which could be Raytheon) sometime in 2009 with the new contract typically starting around April.
    Good luck
    Mike

Been There

Ryan,

Just what we needed to know. Mike suggested you apply as a firefighter and I agree. That is a great way to get started in the program and it sounds like you are highly qualified. Once you are on the Ice you can make the necessary contacts for possible future work as a medic at one of the large field camps.

By the way, don’t be concerned about the current contract ending. This has happened several times in the past and if a new contractor comes in they always hire a significant number of the outgoing contractors employlees. Upper management changes but the folks in the trenches that make the program go get hired by the new contractor.

BT

Neutron

Reading through Ryans question and the resulting responses from Mike and BT, I am curious as to whether anyone has a thought on by whom or what entity (NSF?), and where the announcement of a new contract award will be made/ posted?
    My intent is not to hijack here, only to seek clarification, if available, for those of us new to the process.
    Thanks to all, as always, and best of luck Ryan.
    Bill

Been There

Bill,

Not to worry. There is a transition period between when a new contractor is selected and the current contract ends. Selection is scheduled for October, 2009 and the current contract ends 01 April, 2010. During the transition period one of the critical tasks of a new contractor would be interviewing and hiring personnel that currently work for the outgoing contractor. I am sure the new contractor, the outgoing contractor and NSF will make every effort to ensure the word on the contract change reaches all interested parties.

Don’t assume the current contractor will not win the award but, based on the history, the old contract has never been successful in a new competition for the NSF antarctic support Contract.

BT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.