Dome Charlie 1975/6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I was the Communications Operator at Pole Station during the summer season 1975-76 when the Dome Charlie operation took place and talked to the pilot of the first plane to fly out after the successful repair operations that took place that season.  I know that the team came from Lockheed/Marietta, GA and am interested to know if anyone is aware of documentation or photos that may be available of this operation, either official or not, from individuals, Lockheed, Holmes & Narver, USARP, Navy?  Anybody?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if Dome Charlie is open every year, but it was at least 2 years ago. There are a number of websites with Antarctic history. Try a search for OAE. That’s the Old Antarctic Explorers. They are the people who were here then and will be your best source for info.
    mike

MN-Sparky

Hey Mike….

Are you doling out tools again at McTown this winter? When I left my
    message last time on Antarctic memories I failed to list my complete e-mail
    address.

Rick Brohman

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Nope, I’m in the heavy shop parts room this year. It’s a whole different world over here. Work never stops. It seems like there is always something going on and you’re playing catch up. That’s the big reason I haven’t added to many photo’s this year. I just can’t seem to find time to put them on.

Are you coming down at winfly?  I’ve heard rumors of electrician shortages again, but to the best of my knowledge there are no big projects this year, just catch up work.

mike

will
    Keymaster

I have a couple of black and white photographs of one of the C-130’s we worked on at Dome Charlie (Tail #319). I was a Seabee attached to Naval Support Force, Antarctica from 1975-77 and operated some of the equipment used to repair the plane.

Thanks a lot, Mike.  Are you photos on a website anyplace.  It’s just possible that if I can get some more stuff from Lockheed I’ll write up the story of this project.  I’m also at OAE, so I’ll be looking out for you just in case I need to make arrangements to “borrow” your photos.  BTW, you ought to say a little more about your experience at Dome Charlie.  As we know, the story is not well known.

Thanks again.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Mike, IF you want post them here so everyone can see them. It’s pretty straightforward. Find the photo albums and post. Let me know if you have trouble
    mike

will
    Keymaster

Good Lord! I could have hand carried these pictures easier than this! The pictures of the C-130 #319 @ Dome Charlie are posted under pictures (I hope). It was a logistic and technical coupe that the plane ever flew again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.