Denver job fair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

A friend has asked me when the job fair will be held in Centennial, CO. He said it is not yet posted on the Raytheon website. Does anyone have that information?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

As far as I know there has not been any notice of the job fair. In any case, the process has changed this year. HR filters all the applications. That means that even if you meet a hiring manager, he won’t be able to hire you unless HR deems you qualified and passes the application on.

You must have skills for the job you are applying for and your application must match the job. Now the tricky part is that this means you have to write a good resume. Most people have far more skills that apply to jobs down here than they think of. Because we are a small community that has to take care of everything, we also have to at least a small degree almost every job you can think of here and your skills will come in handy. You just have to apply for the right one.

You also need to be aware that you need to be ready to apply the day the jobs get posted. The applications that pass HR are apparently passed on in batches of 50 or so. If you go to the job fair and the person likes you and wants you. He has to say no to lots of people in order for the next batch to come to him. Best to be in the first batch.

The job fair doesn’t really help you get a job if all you do is show up. If you go, you need to make an impression and if they like you, see if you can get permission to keep in touch. If the process comes down to you and a couple of others and you’ve demonstrated an ability to communicate well, the job may well go to you over somebody they’ve never met. Don’t be a pest, though.

good luck

annapalooza

Hi there, I’m so glad your guys decided to move the board, I just came across it yesterday and there was just so much useful info it was mindboggling!

Anyway. I was also curious about the job fair. More specifically related to the types of jobs that are going to be presented there. I am definately going for the unskilled jobs but I heard that those tend to hire through NANA so I wasn’t sure if going to the fair would be very productive for me? Has any one been in the past who have come across the ‘We pick up trash’ booth, or the ‘Toilet Scrubbers’ booth? And if they are there, does that mean they go through Raytheon and there are additional unskilled jobs available through NANA, or if they’re present at the fair does that mean those are the jobs.

Also, I don’t know if anyone has any general idea on this, but I figure I’ll ask anyway. I keep hearing about all these people who are WAY over qualified for the positions that get them. Does that mean someone with no degree has a much lower chance? I mean, I’m more than qualified for the jobs themselves, but I’m no PHD who’s willing to scrub toilets (and for that matter shouldn’t they be off being Dr’s somewhere and stop hogging all the jobs I could possibly get?) Do they just take the cream of the crop when it comes to narrowing down the applicants? Should I start praying that all people with higher degrees are phenominally crazy?

I think I’ll probably go anyway, just to see it. Heck maybe I’ll flash my dazzling personality and confuse someone who’s supposed to be hiring for a position I’m not even remotely qualified for. 😀 I’m dusting my resume off as I speak and thinking of how I can better present myself without making myself a total liar. It’s a fun challenge!

silentsports

Is there a location to view a comprehensive list of the Antarctica summer jobs and their duties to determine if you qualify before applying.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@silentsports wrote:

Is there a location to view a comprehensive list of the Antarctica summer jobs and their duties to determine if you qualify before applying.

AFAIK, there’s no list publicly available. You have to wait until a job opening is posted in RayJobs and then read the description.

If you have a specific kind of job you’re interested in, perhaps we can make some suggestions about what to apply for.

g

m0loch
    Keymaster

@annapalooza wrote:

I am definately going for the unskilled jobs but I heard that those tend to hire through NANA so I wasn’t sure if going to the fair would be very productive for me? Has any one been in the past who have come across the ‘We pick up trash’ booth, or the ‘Toilet Scrubbers’ booth? And if they are there, does that mean they go through Raytheon and there are additional unskilled jobs available through NANA, or if they’re present at the fair does that mean those are the jobs.

The toilet scrubbers are (almost all) hired by NANA, whereas we pick up trash (or we shovel snow, or do other back-breaking and unpleasant tasks) are (almost all) hired by RPSC

Also, I don’t know if anyone has any general idea on this, but I figure I’ll ask anyway. I keep hearing about all these people who are WAY over qualified for the positions that get them. Does that mean someone with no degree has a much lower chance? I mean, I’m more than qualified for the jobs themselves, but I’m no PHD who’s willing to scrub toilets (and for that matter shouldn’t they be off being Dr’s somewhere and stop hogging all the jobs I could possibly get?) Do they just take the cream of the crop when it comes to narrowing down the applicants? Should I start praying that all people with higher degrees are phenominally crazy?

Well….I don’t think that the degreed folks are necessarily more qualified than you might be – they probably do have a better handle on filling out the job app in the proper way to ensure that it is seen by a human and not screened out by a computer. As for the Drs out doctoring….I’ve seen it go both ways, one year a person will be a grantee (a member of a science group) studying seals or neutrinos or something, and the next year they are scrubbing pots in the deep dungeons of the kitchen. Dish scrubbers have also been known to come back as grantees.

I think I’ll probably go anyway, just to see it. Heck maybe I’ll flash my dazzling personality and confuse someone who’s supposed to be hiring for a position I’m not even remotely qualified for. 😀 I’m dusting my resume off as I speak and thinking of how I can better present myself without making myself a total liar. It’s a fun challenge!

Probably won’t hurt.

As far as being hired for a position that one is not remotely qualified for I am a prime example – however I didn’t take the risk of going to a job fair – I find it much easier to embellish on a resume and lie from afar – it’s tough to do face-to-face

silentsports

At Sciencetech’s suggestion here goes. I retired a couple of years ago, and having worked a cumulative 53 years you pick up a skill or two. I served on a Coast Guard ice breaker-buoy tender as a diesel mechanic and operated large snow removal equipment at a CG air station. In the private sector, I was an Electric Utility line truck driver, groundman and grunt. Spent much of the rest of my career in staff positions like systems analyst, HR employment and training, or records management as well as supervisory, manager, general manager and executive director. I’ve managed everything from customer service, processing, and facilities to a large Public Housing Authority. I’m an avid outdoor person who runs, bicycles long distances, kayaks and generally spends as much time as possible outside. I’ve enjoyed a lifelong hobby of building things, my current project is a 4×4 Expedition camper that I’m fabricating using a Mercedes-Benz UNIMOG 1300 ex-military truck as the host platform. Although I had some very responsible jobs, I’ve always stayed grounded and enjoy hands on work as my hobbies provided an escape from the office routine. Nothing is beneath me, in fact being a shuttle driver, maintenance guy or whatever somebody wants me to do that day would be a ok. I also have a ham radio license if that would come in handy. Probably gave you to much…but I’d appreciate any suggestions from the seasoned veterans of Antarctica.

m0loch
    Keymaster

Can you show five years of verifiable work experience in any of those tasks?

If so, your Diesel Mechanic experience may very well qualify you for either a light vehicle mechanic or heavy equipment mechanic position. And without five years of experience you still may be able to qualify yourself for a P.M. mechanic position. Additionally you might be able to land a job as snowmobile mechanic or small engine mech. Your snow removal equipment operator experience may very well qualify you for a position as Heavy Equipment Operator. I’m fairly certain you could use your hobby experience towards qualifying for one of those positions.

Your experience working in HR should give you what it takes to navigate the initial screening to get your application materials to a real live human being.

If you can’t scrape together the requisite amount of experience in any one skill, certainly your broad experience would qualify you for a general assistant position. I think that all G.A. positions are lumped together in one job posting, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, Fleet Ops has their own G.A. (Fleet Ops = equipment operators) as does the heavy shop (pickup truck and bulldozer mechanics) and FEMC (plumbers, electricians that sort of thing) and then there are the labor pool G.A.s. Labor pool guys probably have a better time because they get to to lots of places whereas the specific G.A.s are sort of stuck in their work place – but if your ultimate goal would be to return to one of those shops then working there and having a chance to prove yourself may be a good move.

I only commented on the things I know best – your vast life’s experience may very well qualify you for other things that I haven’t mentioned.

You really should go to the rayjobs site and start browsing the advertised positions – read the qualifications carefully and see if you can somehow show the requisite experience for any and all jobs you are interested in and start applying.

P.S. being an ex-coasty might give you an “in” with the heavy shop supervisor. He wouldn’t have to be all alone when getting picked on if he had another ex-coasty around.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Wow. My first impression is that you should try for either fleet Ops (heavy equipment operator) or small engine/snowmobile mechanic at the MEC (Mechanical Equipment Center). There’s frequent open positions in those areas. I’d avoid G.A., it’s very competitive and doesn’t pay much — you have the skills to jump past that.

Really, with that variety of experience perhaps we should ask, “what would you like to do?” If you could imagine a job that you’d most enjoy doing, what would it be? Mechanic? Admin? Equipment operator or forklifts? Comms? Maybe we can narrow-in on the best options.

g

silentsports

First let me thank you for all the information, it really helps to have someone down there who knows the lay of the land. The work is important and I’d contribute wherever my skills would fit, the experience of being there is just as important at this point in my life.
    Given a choice I’d be just as happy driving equipment as working on it. Although, most of my career was in management, I’ve spent all those years in my free time as a gear head. Building hot rods, sports cars and now this truck that is as big as a semi. It’s a diesel powered 1985 vintage ex-German military and was used as a troop/cargo truck. I certainly can do mechanical work. So where the best opportunity is to get on the ice is where I should go. When you apply for a given job do you mention the other things you’ve done to show you could help in other area’s if needed or do you just concentrate on the job your applying for? If you had my skill set what would be the top 5 jobs you’d go after? Keeping in mind the people you’d work with.
    Tell that “Coasty” hi for me. It’s been a few years since being in the “black gang” working on Cooper-Bessmer diesel electrics and GMC aux gen sets. I could easily go back to being that fireman grunt that was my first duty after basic. Ask him what company he graduated in, mine was Golf 40 at Cape May, NJ.
    Thanks again for you interest and suggestions.

m0loch
    Keymaster

@sheilman56 wrote:

A friend has asked me when the job fair will be held in Centennial, CO. He said it is not yet posted on the Raytheon website. Does anyone have that information?

Because I’m ignorant to what constitutes “competitive information” I’m going to refrain from copying and pasting the email I just received on the subject; the short answer is no, RPSC won’t host a job fair this year. Leadership seems to believe that more targeted recruiting efforts get them more “bang for the buck”.

Look for recruiters at national and local job fair type events and trade-specific shows in your area.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I thought that was going to happen. It’s a changing world everywhere. This is only a slight change in the process that has been developing for the last couple of years. The job fair was only really a way to get permission from the hiring managers to keep in touch. Now, no person to email. A little harder, but nothing really new. It now means you need to really make sure your resume and application match the job you are applying for. it has to pass an HR filter before the apps are passed on.
    Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.