Continuing Ed. hours for EMT's

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Continuing Ed. hours for EMT's

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Big V

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info about the sunglasses.  I thought of another question.  I’m an EMT and am wondering if there is any way for me to obtain continuing education hours while at McMurdo.  I’m working in the kitchen so I won’t be using my EMT skills for my job.  Will I be allowed to volunteer in the clinic?  Or, does the Fire Dept. offer medical classes that I would be allowed to attend?  Thanks again!
    V

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I can’t answer anything about that. Sharon or Chris, if you are still around can you give any advice
    mike

will
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure not, as no one is hired as an EMT, only firefighters and paramedics.  The SAR, search and rescue, team has their own training.  No state EMT association would have been asked to sanction such credit.
    Mike, I’m not the Sharon you think – I’m the galley slave turned shuttle driver, retired nurse practitioner.  Lorie knows me.

turbotim66

Hey Big V
    You can ask at the fire house and see if they would mind letting you know when they were having medical training classes. then it would be between your boss and you if you could make that time. I worked for the fire house for 2 summers and 3 winters, the last 2 as a LT w/o02, When I was there there was no problem attending class just so long as you were not disruptive. I still go to the occasional training even though I dont work for them anymore, I like to keep my certs up also. The antarctic fire dept is a member of the colorado firefighters association, so all training is accepted.   laters Tim

will
    Keymaster

[font=Arial:eapcsxay]Hey tim good to hear from you, hows your arm[/font:eapcsxay]
    [font=Arial:eapcsxay]Chris Post[/font:eapcsxay]
    [font=Arial:eapcsxay]AFD 01-02 02-03[/font:eapcsxay]
    [font=Arial:eapcsxay][/font:eapcsxay] 
    [font=Arial:eapcsxay][/font:eapcsxay] 

Original Message

To: Antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 7:39 PM
    Subject: Re: Continuing Ed. hours for EMT’s

[font=Arial, size=4:eapcsxay]New Message on Antarctic memories[/font:eapcsxay]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:eapcsxay]Continuing Ed. hours for EMT’s[/font:eapcsxay]

Antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com?subject=Re%3A%20Continuing%20Ed%2E%20hours%20for%20EMT%27s
      turbotim66@hotmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20Continuing%20Ed%2E%20hours%20for%20EMT%27s   [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif:eapcsxay]Recommend[/font:eapcsxay] Message 4 in Discussion
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:eapcsxay]From: [/font:eapcsxay][font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif:eapcsxay]turbotim66[/font:eapcsxay]
    Hey Big V
    You can ask at the fire house and see if they would mind letting you know when they were having medical training classes. then it would be between your boss and you if you could make that time. I worked for the fire house for 2 summers and 3 winters, the last 2 as a LT w/o02, When I was there there was no problem attending class just so long as you were not disruptive. I still go to the occasional training even though I dont work for them anymore, I like to keep my certs up also. The antarctic fire dept is a member of the colorado firefighters association, so all training is accepted.   laters Tim

View other groups in this category.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Boy the news gets around, Chris. How did you hear about Tim’s arm?.  Winfly is just around the corner. We had a sundog in the sky this afternoon, which means the sun must be just below the horizon. Airfield training took place today. Cargo driver training is Monday. I think we probably will relearn how to strap airforce pallets. Tuesday we spend the day driving back and forth on the Pegasus shortcut road,with the smooth tire deltas to try to pack the snow for the flights. Everything is happening fast.
    cheers
    mike

turbotim66

Hey Chris
    the arm is doing well I get the cast off the day before I leave (2nd flight of winfly). I think it is healed already but doc said 2 weeks wouldnt kill me and better safe then to soon. so now it is down to just a week and I cant wait to get it off. 8 weeks in a cast in Antarctica is enough. Though I still think that this has been one of my best winters (barring the broken arm) I look forward to at least 1 more winter (have 4 under my belt right now). and I am going to talk to chief Sharon and see whats up with the south pole firefighter jobs, might be convinced to take the pay cut and go back to the fire dept, to go to the south pole for a summer. well laters back to work.  tim 

Big V

Thanks Tim–I was hoping there would be an option for continuing ed.  I’d hate to have to take the class all over again.  Luckily, I just recertified so I have two more years to pack all the hours in.  I’m hoping someday to get on as a Fire Dispatcher–any good advice for me?
    Thanks
    Big V

turbotim66

Hey Big V
    Try to talk to Chief Sharon DiGiacomo. Se does all the Hiring for the fire dept and she will be here from winfly on. also if you have a chance talk to Lori Gravelle, she is the most senior dispatcher down here, and she knows her stuff. laters Tim

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Hey Big V
    I’ll ask the fire chief about whether you can sit in on training. The biggest problem may be your work schedule and whether you can sit on the training after your normal work.
    mike

Big V

Thanks Mike–I’d really like to keep my certs up to date.  My husband will too………

V

>From: “Antarctic memories”
    >Reply-To: “Antarctic memories”
    >To: “Antarctic memories”
    >Subject: Re: Continuing Ed. hours for EMT’s
    >Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:42:43 -0700
    >

Help protect your PC: Click here to go to the Mcafee.com free online virus scan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.