Contact lenses in Antarctica?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Contact lenses in Antarctica?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andromeda

First of all, sorry for my newbie questions…

Can you wear contact lenses in Antarctica? Probably a dumb question, but would they freeze to your eye? LOL – I’m serious. I am extremely near-sighted and hate to wear glasses – but was thinking that I might have a problem wearing contacts outside there. Thanks for any info on this!! 😉

Been There

Contacts are not a problem in Antarctica but you need to be aware of the fact it is extremely dry so you need to have some kind of wetting solution that you might want the carry with you in your pocket. Also McMurdo can be very dusty at times in the summer and that can cause some problems.

BT

MightyAtlas

The worst thing about McMurdo is truly, the dust. Seriously, there’s dust. Lots of it.

I’ve done 10 seasons, wearing my rigid gas permeable lenses each one of them. No problems, except for the grit during dust season, which it Dec-Feb.

You’ll be fine.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

You don’t have to wear contacts for the dust to be a problem. It’s basically volcanic rock or glass dust. The winds seem to blow pretty constantly at 10 to 20 knots. As long as it’s below freezing things aren’t too bad. The ice freezes the dust. Once above freezing, for about a month the roads are wet, but after that. Dust dust and more dust. We’ve had a fair number of people get scratched corneas from grit in their eyes. It pays to wear sunglasses.
    M

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.