construction worker here

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

Sparky, keep it nice. no names
    mike

Operator Guy

Well for what it’s worth I’ve applied again, for summer this time.  I saw a few people say they got hired in recent weeks so I guess this is the hot time.  I remember from somewhere (maybe this thread) that theres about 30-40 operators down there in summer.  Seems like a lot for a small place but the more spots the better my chances so I’m game.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The operators have a lot to do in a short amount of time. I guess that’s why there are so many. Some of them are in town all the time as duty snow removal or duty forklift support. Any building going on has a lot of blasting and site prep to get things ready. That’s more equipment folks. There is an ice runway to be made from scratch out on the sea ice. Another to be maintained at Pegasus,  a snow skiway to be groomed at willy field. Building to be hauled around by bulldozer. More and more  and more operators. The hiring is in full swing now, so if you went to the fair call the people you talked to. If you didn’t get a name, then I’d say try anyway. As you say, the hiring is hot.
    mike

Operator Guy

Ha!  Well I got called yesterday morning.  Talked to someone for about 50 minutes.  Mostly stuff I already knew from here and other places, but I did find out what they pay.  That %16 bonus for first timers the same for all professions? 

Oddly enough by the time he told me to check my e-mail for the hire-right application I was already running late for work and never got to ask him “whats the next contact i should have with you?”.  I know I have to do this application right away but Im not sure if theyve already sent this dental and physical stuff or if thats later.  I guess I do the application then wait a week for the mail, if nothing comes then I’ll call.  Thanks for the input there Pooles

will
    Keymaster

You do the hire-rite and background check first!!  Then they will send you a contract, some HR papers, and a urine drug screening packet to be collected quickly.  After they receive your signed contract and clean drug screening, you will get your dental and physical examination information.  It’s a little different this year.  Probably, making sure one passes the drug test before going any further.
    Shuttle Sharon

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The 16 percent  is actually 10 to 20 percent your first year.It’s based on your performance level. 16 percent is for the  meets expectations level. That means you do just your job and not much else. Many will get an exceeds expectations. For the first year that bumps your percentage a couple of points. By your third season the “meets” catagory is 24 percent. Basically you add up everything you made for the duration of the contract and take the percentage off of that. It’s fairly lucrative. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam has decided it’s pay, so they want the normal tax withdrawals taken out. Hopefully, you’ll get a fair chunk of it back.

Sharon is right that the next few steps can come painfully slow. They are dealing with thousands of people, so you pretty much wait your turn. I would still keep in regular touch with whoever calls you. Get their email address and phone number and make a regular contact.
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Mike, I did my drug urine May 2, had sent my HR stuff in April 30.  On May 7 I received my dental and physical forms. I had already made my appointments for May 18 and 24.  So I’m in pretty good shape for PQing.  Last year, my notification of PQing came through July 24.  Shuttle Sharon

Operator Guy

Well I just got the first packet yesterday.  Now I have 2 weeks to get this back to them and i need a copy of my passport in there.   Guess what, my passport expires soon and im sure it takes more then 2 weeks to get a new one.  I knew something like this would happen, they could have told me 2 weeks ago when i was offered the spot that i should get my passport taken care off asap

will
    Keymaster

If you're willing to drive to the nearest passport issuing facility &
    pay heaps extra, I believe you can usually get one done very quickly.
    Before you do that, check with RPSC HR – they might accept a copy of
    your current passport with the understanding that they'll have an
    updated one within a few weeks.

Good luck!

Erica

Operator Guy

Thanks, thats what I did.  Quick question for anybody that went down from the  east coast:  Where do you stop over at during the flight?  I’m leaving from NYC and I hope they dont have my switch over in L.A or Hawaii.  I’ve already been to those places.  I’d like to shoot down and pass trough someplace in south America.  After checking my trusty world map I noticed the South America isnt exactly on the way.  So what route were you guys put on?

First year I went from NM to TX to LAX and then South, last year we went to CO for orientation but we go through LAX to head to MacTown and Pole, only Palmer station get people through South America to the ships at Chile as far as I recall. From NY, might come through Dallas to LAX depends on the cheapest flight they can find for you.

MightyAtlas

OG —

If you’re leaving out of NY, then you have a long flying day ahead of you.  You’ll probably fly non-stop to LAX (or connect through Dallas), hang-out there for a few hours, then get on a non-stop flight to Auckland, New Zealand (about a 12 1/2 hour flight).  After clearing customs and immigration, you’ll catch a domestic flight down to Christchurch.   When you arrive, you’ll get your hotel assignment, and be told when to come back to the CDC for your ECW fitting (the next day).  Enjoy the rest of that day, because you’ll probably be awakened early the next morning to check-in for your flight down to McMurdo.

Ah, the experience of your first bag-drag…

You’ll be jumping through alot of hoops, but just remember we ALL do – management included.  Just go with the flow, and ask if you’re confused about something.  Ice people are amongst the friendliest, and most helpful, around.

See you this summer.

atlas

Operator Guy

First off, the first “bag drag” or whatever you wanna call it – been there, done that and my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc.  I flew from Hawaii to Macedonia, round trip and it took a day each way.  Ive pretty much done all this stuff, i just havnt done it there. 

Anyway, if i cant choose my route going down, how about coming back?  I heard you can stop off wherever you want for a month or whatever.  What if I choose to go the long way and stop in Asia and europe for a few days at a time?

will
    Keymaster

[font=Times New Roman:qehmtw99]Have you ever bag dragged on a warm, sunny, gorgeous, spring morning… wearing long johns & extreme cold weather gear?  Trust me when I say that experience is rather unique & has a charm all its own!  [/font:qehmtw99][font=Wingdings:qehmtw99]J[/font:qehmtw99]

[font=Arial:qehmtw99]E[/font:qehmtw99]

thepooles98
    Keymaster

You have little or no choice on the trip down. As Atlas said, you get on a long cross country flight to LAX. Lay over for a few hours then on a 12 hour flight to Aukland. Lay over a bit, then a flight to Cheech, Go to an orientation in the airport. Maybe get your gear,And finally get to your hotel 20 to 30 hours after the start of your trip.
    Second day ECW gear if you didn’t do it the first. You have the rest of the day off to play. Next day up at 4am to be at the Antarctic center by 5. And off you go.

At the end of the contract the world is at your fingertips. Trade in you ticket for credit against a ticket anywhere you want to go. The only exceptions are some people who get fired. They get a one way non-refundable ticket back to LAX.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.