construction worker here

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    MN-Sparky

If there is an opening for a Heavy Equipment Operator even this late in the
    season they Will hire someone to fill that position so Apply, your chances
    will be greater to experiance the “Ice” and the unique travels to
    Antarctica.

Go for it!

Rick

will
    Keymaster

You’re referring to the Heavy Ground Traverse, HGT, which was hoping to make it up the Ferrar Glacier last season.  They fell short of their goal, I believe.  I remember when the crew of 8 guys returned to McMurdo.  They are a select bunch of guys with specific talents, mountaineering, mechanic, heavy equipment operators, etc. That’s a very interesting saga to be continued this season.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

We call it the South Pole Traverse. It’s a proof of concept. Currently we have limited resupply to the South Pole Station. It’s been postulated that a traverse of tractors pulling sleds of supplies could significantly increase the amount of supplies delivered to the station. The first years goal was to get through an area of crevasses where the McMurdo and Ross ice shelves meet. Each crevasse was found with ground radar, Blasted open and filled with snow. They got through the shear zone with little problem. Last year they moved toward the Leverette(spelling) Glacier, but encountered deep snow. The ski’s on the sleds sat in the tractor tracks and sank. This year they are moving the skis so that they ride on fresh snow. We’ll have to see if it helps.
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Last season, I had a friend who was hired in October, and came down right before Halloween. You never know. Email people and ask for that job!!! Say you are ready to go!!!

Operator Guy

Amy,

I checked out your website and learned a lot about how life goes down there.  Thanks for that.  I was very upset to see the belly dancing pics were gone though  :'(

ANyway I tried to pry to name of whoever would or wouldnt hire me but she told me  “oh you’ll never get that”

Operator Guy

well they closed my job out a few days ago and yesterday i got an application to fill out.  hire rite or something is the company that sent it for raytheon.  I’m wondering if EVERYBODY that applies gets one of these even if theyre not in consideration , or do they cut the fat and then issue these to narrow it down one more time before making phone calls?  I dont figure any of you would know for sure, but maybe someone does.

MN-Sparky

Hey Operator Guy; why didnt you down load an application from their website?
    OR Dont they still have the on-line application you can fill out…right on
    line to avoid the snail-mail issue?

Operator Guy

I said nothing to suggest I wasnt doing this online.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I wish I could tell you if everyone gets the hirerite application. I’m not sure. I do know that everyone who is being considered gets one. My guess is that you are on the fast track. Fill it out pronto and send it back. If you proceed to the next step you will get an offer letter so sign and then the Medical stuff will be sent to you. If you only get an alternate position, follow through quickly as if you are going to be hired. Make sure that if they call you up, all your paperwork is done and you are ready to go. They hire lot’s of alternates.
    Good luck
    mike

Operator Guy

Just for the record, they dont issue the applications to everybody.  I called yesterday and the nice lady told me they only send them to the ones they are interested in.  I had mine sent in about a day after I made my last post up there.  I’m nervous about the gaps of employment i had on the application since I wasnt doing construction work during that time.  Bah.  I guess I was supossed to put every job even if it had nothing to do with the job I’m applying with.

FNGWannabe

I just got the HireRight application yesterday myself…it does seem a bit intrusive and intimidating, but consider the fact that Raytheon probably uses HireRight for all their hiring.  Some of their jobs require pretty serious security clearances and thorough background checks.  In the case of you and me (I’m going for carpenter helper), they’re probably more interested in knowing that we’ve got a relatively clean background.  At least, that’s my take on things.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

When the whole security thing was first introduced a couple of years ago, we had a big uproar. In the end it’s just as you might expect. It’s a way to weed out problem people.Mostly violent drinkers.  Chances are, if a person has been arrested for drunken bar fights or has a record of dwi’s, then being trapped in close contact in an isolated environment tends to magnify their problems not make them go away. IE. If he were to solve his problems by drinking, I’d rather he not be working side by side with me.The are very serious about violence as well. Give the appearance of being in a fight and you will be out of here on the next flight.
    thats my take on it.
    mike

Very true Mike, there was one altercation in MMI last year, nearly nothing, but the guy was shipped out 2 days later on the next flight. From teh stories I heard of the old days I hear they are far better these days then they had before, good thing, too few people to have any number of problem people, we can work on any job where idiots are around, its nice to have a place where just about everyone is a great person.

I cannot remember exactly if I got a hire-right app in the mail I did the online deal and they called me and then after the phone interview they sent me the paperwork. I do seem to recall the Hire-right being named somewhere though.

I wish you the best of luck in your endevours though.

Lucky.

FNGWannabe

So…I sent in my HireRight application about a week and a half ago.  The thing is, the day before I got a response from RPSC, I had put in my two weeks notice at work and was planning a move back to the U.S. (I live in New Zealand at the moment).  So now I’m in limbo; I don’t have a job, I haven’t heard anything from the recruiter yet, and my references haven’t even been contacted yet.  I sent the recruiter an email last week about my situation, but she hasn’t even responded to that.  I’m not going to starve any time soon, but I feel like an idiot everytime someone asks me what I’m going to do next, because I don’t know until I hear about this job.  I don’t want to move without hearing from the recruiter, cause I’m afraid that being in New Zealand might be an advantage to getting the job.

Can someone wiser than me tell me how long the HireRight process usually takes?  And is getting to the HireRight stage the biggest step?

Operator Guy

I’m expecting  the end of this month to be the prime time for the application.  They give 30 days to complete it so theyll wait those 30 days before they start reviewing and calling references.  I too want to know what the longest part of this is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.