Computer Science in Antarctica

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Computer Science in Antarctica

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TheORKINMan
    Participant

I’m sure you guys hear this a lot. I’d really like to spend at least one Antarctic summer at one of the stations down there. My work experience is primarily in networking. I have a Bachelors in Political Science and am currently working on a second Bachelors in computer science. I am Security+ certified and am studying for CEH(Certified Ethical Hacker) certification. I am FEMA ICS-100 and 200 certified as well. I currently work for a network operations center for my state’s government but have been told by my boss he’d give me unpaid leave if I ever got a chance to go.

My work experience is about 3 and 1/2 years of networking dealing primarily with voice and data telecommunications and my Comp Sci degree is mostly C/C++ programming this far. I’m not sure how in demand a comp sci or network technician would be but any of you who may have connections at Raytheon or have been to Antarctica have any thoughts as to whether I would have a decent shot at landing a job down there or even if they even have a need for people with my skill set in such a remote place.

Mradyfist

We’ve got one network engineer at South Pole, and I think McMurdo has three or four. If you’ve got work experience in a NOC I’d say apply – there’s a good chance you can snag a job. The network engineer at Pole is generally a 1-year contract, so keep that in mind; this is good news for you because it means there’s a lot of turnover in network engineer positions (and I mean a lot, I’m not sure that we’ve had a returnee for 5 or 6 years). It also means that you’d need to plan on leaving for a year, from October through October.

Someone in IT at MCM could tell you more, but I think their network guys are usually summer-only or winter-only people, like most of their sysadmins. Not a bad gig, but they don’t have the built-in turnover so people stick with those jobs for much longer.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Thanks for the response! At this point with it being almost October already anyway I assume more then likely I should just wait and see who the new contract will go to before applying?

TheORKINMan
    Participant

For the Senior Network Admin position I think I’m probably not qualified by their standards until I finish my comp sci degree. One thing I’ve found very strange as I’ve waded into the computer world over the years is house absolutely segregated the IT/Programming fields are from one another despite their interdependence.

If I were to apply to a position I was thinking of the Security Compliance Associate but it says it is full time CO based so I’m not sure if it actually deploys to Antarctica or not. Position Description:

“Seeking a unique adventure as well as employment? How would you like to be one of the few people on the planet to set foot on the 7th continent? Raytheon Polar Services (RPSC) is the primary contractor for the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) U.S. Antarctic Program (USAP). We are currently seeking a full-time Security Compliance Associate to work in our Centennial, CO office.

Member of the Information Security Team supporting federal directives and guidelines that are related to Information Security. This position is responsible for analysis of information security controls, network and system information security to support existing and proposed compliance and auditing projects.”

MATKATAMIBA

Full-time Denver RPSC personnel often deploy to Antarctica during the summer season.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Meh I’m not sure I permanently want to relocate to Colorado. That probably is going to beg the question of “how bad do you want it!?” I may just wait to see if a more seasonal opportunity presents itself. I assume most people who deploy for the summer actually have other jobs they return to during the other 8 months of the year?

Mradyfist

It sounds like you’d meet the requirements for network engineer by the start of next season, you just need a bachelor’s in something and 4 years of experience with the right network gear. The infosec position you’re talking about does deploy to the stations for an audit each year, or at least some of them do.

Some people have jobs, but not me! I travel for a few months, and then come home and live off savings and credit cards until the next season. It’s worked pretty well so far, but your ability to do that depends on your on-ice pay, and your off-ice frugality.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Yeah that’s what I think I’m gonna gun for. SPend this season and grab a few more networking certs to push for landing a Network Engineer slot next October.

skua77
    Keymaster

@Sciencetech wrote:

@TheORKINMan wrote:

… I should just wait and see who the new contract will go to before applying?

Nah. Pay no attention to the FUBAR rebid process. Apply at will.

EDIT: I just saw that there is a posting for a Senior Network Admin, Vessels.

EDIT#2: Crikey! The Cryotech job sure is tempting. If I wasn’t already committed to what I’m doing, that might be fun…

OrkinMan, since it sounds like you’re not in the middle of a formal course of study (ie a full time college term) it probably wouldn’t hurt to throw in an application just to see what happens. After all, it never hurts to practice applying for jobs in this economy. The Vessels job would be totally off the wall, and it would involve a good bit of telecommunication stuff, right Sciencetech? As for the infosec job, remember that Full Time means just until the end of the Raytheon contract whenever that is. You’d then have to reapply if you wanted to…or tell them no if you didn’t want to move to Houston or wherever 🙂

EDIT: I just saw that there is a posting for a Senior Network Admin, Vessels.

EDIT#2: Crikey! The Cryotech job sure is tempting. If I wasn’t already committed to what I’m doing, that might be fun…

Wow, I just took a look, there are some other amazing jobs that are still open. Shuttle driver??? Weather guesser??? Good grief! There even some that I could qualify for, but I had my shot already for this season.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

I actually AM in the middle of a college term right now. However I’m going to Florida State and their comp sci program can be done via distance learning. So I don’t have to stop my degree coursework as long as I have internet access 😛

I think you’re right. I may apply anyway. Worst that can happen is I don’t hear back and I can always apply again when the new contractor takes over.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.