Computer question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    MightyAtlas

Hunter/Supply Guru/Tizoc —

I’m a Computer Tech and can attest to what Mike said about Mac’s.  But to clarify:

The ‘Town Techs’ are there to take care of the hundreds of NSF-owned computers.  As far as I know, all of these are PC-based, including the laptops.

There are also ‘Crary Techs’, that reside in the Crary Science and Engineering Lab.  Because they deal almost exclusively with the scientists (and many of the scientists prefer Macs), they have to be skilled in multiple OSs.

Both groups have an extremely heavy workload and cannot work on personal laptops.  Bring your own recovery disk, and any other software you might require in the event of a crash.  We cannot loan-out software, either.

Making friends with a Tech does not mean you will get a dial-up connection in your room.  That decision is made solely by the on-ice IT Manager, and then only as-needed.  Scientists, of course, have the priority in the food chain.  The dial-up pool is user-limited, as well.  Better to retreat over the the Coffee House, and plug-into their LAN.

Also, the techs do not ‘install’ virus protection on any personally-owned computer.  The person bringing the laptop in must have it on there already, and must maintain it at their own cost.  This is a Raytheon/NSF mandatory requirement in order to use the NSF-owned network.  Even if a person has a Mac, it still has to be registered, and there’s no ‘cutting in line’.

Tizoc is correct about wireless – it’s definitely not allowed.  While the exact reason is not evident, I would assume that it’s because of the myriad of critical communications, and monitoring, we have down there.  It could be that particular operating range is either already taken, or it would interfere with something important.  I will ask my superiors about the reasoning.

You must remember that technology is ‘a little behind the curve’, on the ice.  We don’t have a CompUSA, or a BestBuy right down the street.  Any conversion to a new technology typically takes about two years to implement.  Visitors to the ice often come down with the latest and greatest technology, but that doesn’t mean it can be used (or supported).

Be patient, be accepting.  Getting your e-mail is a distant second to the adventure that lay ahead for you.  

See you soon.

atlas

TzcMcMurdo

Atlas,

Looking forward to meeting and working with you.

Tizoc

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Atlas,
    Lorie was wondering if we can set up a home wireless network with 2 laptops when we go into the winter and get 2 room. Not anything connected to the Mcm net, just our 2 computers.
    mike

MightyAtlas

Mike —

Afraid I can’t give you a definitive answer.  I did read some NSF or Raytheon usage publication stating that NO wireless products were allowed.  Of course, I can’t find that publication again so I can clarify. 

I’ll try to get an answer to you.

See you soon.

atlas

HunterReaves

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I bought a 12″ iBook yesterday, no wireless stuff, bumped up the RAM & the hard drive – pretty simple, but it’ll be good for my purposes. Got some anti-virus software, too, so I hope the techs are cool w/ everything.

Cheers,

Hunter

Zondra

I wish I had gotten all this computer advice before I went down the first time.  Anyway, just a note about bringing an i-pod, or something like that.  It’s an awesome idea, then you can bring music wherever you go.  Another great thing to bring (and I think costs around $30-$50) is a small radio transmitter.  It plugs into the headphone jack of a walkman, i-pod, or whatever… it then sends out a signal that can be picked up by nearby radios.  This is great, ’cause then you can play all the music stored on your i-pod over the speakers of whatever is around you, as long as it has a radio.  We had one amongst our GA crew last year, and it was the most valuable commodity any of us had.   OH, and they don’t sell them in New Zealand (I tried buying one for a winter over-er after I left the ice… to mail down to them – – no such luck), so buy one in the U.S. before you head to the Ice. 

Zondra

MightyAtlas

Mike —

The definitive word from Denver is that NO wireless equipment is allowed on the ice, regardless if it’s connected to the network, or not.  The communication setups down there are sensitive enough that the NSF has determined that wireless might interfere.  They also have a means of ‘locating’ wireless transmissions.  Yes, even in dorm rooms.  Sorry.

atlas

jebarni769

All software has to be registered and have virus protection; I understand that.

But, I’m just curious (I’m hoping to go next year), is there a problem with a Linux OS plugging into the LAN?

I assume there is no problem sharing open source software?

There’s virus protection for Linux/Unix, but it’s mostly to prevent the spread of Microsoft viruses. Yes, I know Linux/Unix can get native viruses. What virus protect for Linux would be recommended?

Thanks,
    Jeff

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Thanks for the word Atlas. I’m leaving today for a round-a-bout route to my airport of departure on the 18th. I’ll leave the wireless unit with my mother in law. She has DSL and can use it.

For Jeff, I haven’t a clue about Linux systems. You’ll have to ask before you come down.
    mike

MightyAtlas

Hello, All —

Just found out that if you’re planning on bringing a Mac down to the ice you DO have to have virus protection installed.  Yes, they make it for that O/S.  See Norton, or Sophos.  Sorry, those are the rules.  Also, every personal laptop that comes down will have to be registered with the Techs, AND complete a full virus scan, in their presence, before being allowed to connect to the McMurdo network.

Concerning the Linux O/S, it is allowed, but has numerous ‘holes’ in it.  You’d be better off with an O/S that isn’t open source.

atlas

HunterReaves

Atlas, hey –

I’ve got a brand-new iBook (with OS X), and I have Virex virus protection software installed.

Will this suffice?

Thanks,

Hunter

MightyAtlas

Hey, Hunter —

Virex is a product of McAfee and will work.  Just be sure it gets updated regularly, and you can show us a complete (and clean) virus scan.

I think you’re covered, Hunter. 

Have a safe trip down.

atlas

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.