Big Bad-Boy Berg Briefly Blocks Boat

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Iceboard Archives Big Bad-Boy Berg Briefly Blocks Boat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

yesterday the r/v laurence m. gould departed palmer station, narrowly squeezing by a large iceberg that had moved in during the night. this berg is quite the monster, itʹs rare to see one so big next the station. by the time the lmg was ready to depart it had moved aside just enough to let the ship through. today the berg is still lurking out there, occasionally calving off chunks.the lmg at the pier…and departing palmer…

Anonymous

wow thats pretty cool. it doesnʹt look that big though. can the lmg move them if they get in the wayʔ

Anonymous

the ship might be able to gently push a berg about the size of one the fuel tanks (in the picture), iʹve seen it do that. but a big berg like this one could squash it like a bug. the pier area is shallow, however, so the berg grounded out before it could reach the ship.

Anonymous

nice shotsǃ

Anonymous

fine shots, glenn. what camera did you useʔ

Anonymous

a nikon d70s digital slr. i just got the thing and iʹm still figuring out how to use it. so far so good.some surprising results…- i wanted a lens with vibration reduction, but it was on back-order and i couldnʹt wait. it turns out that for many hand-held shots itʹs unnecessary. the camera has high shutter speeds and a selection of iso settings, so in many circumstances it does just fine.- iʹve read conflicting info about whether you can use lenses designed for film cameras in the new digital slrs. this was a decision point for me because i have a lot of (nice) older nikon lenses. it turns out that, for nikon at least, it works fine. yeah, you lose a lot of the camera features if you donʹt use a cpu lens, but the pictures come out great anyway. the ship shots were taken in low light with an early model 80-200/2.8ed-if af nikon lens (mechanical autofocus) and they came out tack-sharp. i couldnʹt be more pleased.- nikonʹs software, included with the camera, sucks. they must be taking hints from canon, which often does the same thing. but nikon has a free program you can download as an alternate, and it does a passable job.

Anonymous

iʹm jealous, i want to go to palmerǃǃǃ it looks so nice there, and you get mail in aprilǃ great pictures.-nate

Anonymous

hey glenn, i was looking through some collections on flickr and realized that thereʹs a lot of past and present personal pages from murdites and polies, but i rarely run across a palmer personl collection or current page.about how many people you guys have thereʔ

Anonymous

44 bed maximum. about 30 people on station now, and there will be 16 this winter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.