Antarctica Travel Tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

We just added our first Antarctica travel tip at :
    http://www.cruisesantarctica.com/antarctica-travel.html
    More tips will come.

If you have more tips to add there, please do!

Maggie and Stef

Antarctica Cruises

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Stef and Maggie
    This is the second post you guys have put on here. I can’t decide if you are a company putting ads here or a private blog site that allows ads. Nothing leads easy to any specific company that sells Antarctic Cruises and the skinny cook website seems more about cooking so I’ll let this stay.

Anyway, most of the activity here is about people getting jobs in Antarctica and living here long term. This part of Antarctica is only accessable to the ruggednest of cruise ships. You don’t have to pay to come here and work. The downside is that you have a job to do and you get paid. Your time to play is after work. The cruises are fun all the  time.

On the cruises you get a better look at Antarctica than most, because you are brought to see some of the best stuff. Unfortunately you pay out the nose to do it. Some of the trips approach 15 thousand dollars, but they last a long time and get you to this part of the world. Most of the trips get to the penninsula area. More wildlife there, but a little less extreme and a little warmer, because of the proximity to water. Working at Palmer or one of the other coastal stations in the penninsula help bridge both worlds as you take a cruise to get down there.

I think after being down here for a winter ,paying for a cruise would be anticlimatic.

Mike

MightyAtlas

Me thinks they’re bogus…

thepooles98
    Keymaster

probably,
    We’ll see if they answer

thepooles98
    Keymaster

It originally looked like an ad, but the site it brings you to is not a cruise site. I’m leaning to Stef and Maggie having been on a cruise and are Antarctic enthusiasts who post info for others.

If the link was supposed to be a link for a specific company, I never saw it. No destinations, prices , programs etc. just a link or two to other sites.

So Stef or Maggie, Tell us about your trip.
    Mike

Hi Mike and all,

Maggie is the most experienced traveller of us 2,
    Stef knows how to make a homepage,
    so that’s how we got together 🙂

Main thing is we thought antarctic memories was about memories from travellers,
    so we wanted to add ours.

But we are also curious about people who live there like you guys seem to be!
    Like expat Stef always says: travelling is one thing, living is a whole different story.

Anyways, we will post more of our trip if that’s ok with you guys,
    and we would like all comments about how your life is there as well!

And if somebody has pictures or a story or a diary to add at our website about antarctica,
    please let us know,

Maggie and Stef

thepooles98
    Keymaster

If you are a couple of private individuals with a love of Antarctica then you are welcome here.
    If  you are a company looking for advertising  here without paying for it, then less so. All the ads on your site give it the impression that it’s a commercial site for an Antarctic Cruise company. The fact that the link didn’t get me to anyplace to buy a cruise makes me lean to you two are just travelers with a webpage. So welcome.

We have precious few Antarctic tourists who post here. Personnaly if I had the money, that would be the way to see Antarctica. Weeks of wildlife everyday because thats where the boats go. Apart from the 30 or so that work at Palmer, most of us get to see McMurdo or the Pole, but we are working a good portion of the time.  We have to really step out of the grind so to speak in order to experience the things that cruisers see each day. Of course the cruises come down in the warm season, in the warmest part of Antarctica and stay a few days. We come to
    the harsher places most boats could never get to. A different experience altogether. The only cruise ships that get here are icebreaker ships that have been converted to cruise ships. Even then they only stay a day or so, before heading out to warmer climes.
    Living here is not like being a tourist. Tourists are looking for penguins. We get them only if the sea ice melts and they swim in. The joy of this place is more about the climate. Summer is a joy, 24 daylight for 4 months and lots to do. It rekindles your youth.
    Winter is test of your soul. You either love it or hate it. Forever darkness, but sometimes the auroras light the sky. And  there is nothing like a winter storm with 100 mph winds and windchills at -100 to really appreciate how harsh this place can really be. We are coming up on the 2 year anniversery of a storm that began to rip the buildings apart here. The ones who love it hope it happens again.

Anyway welcome Stef and Maggie.
    Post more info on you cruise experiences.
    Mike

Hi Mike and all in dark Antarctica,

We went on an icebreaker, kaitan dranitsyn, whivh I posted at
    http://www.cruisesantartica.com/antarctica-travel

It’s all in the beginning stage our antarctica website,
    and we do can use those lovely pictures from your msn groups start,
    anyways, that’s for later…

Just wonder how you get onto antarctica yourself?

Maggie n Stef

MightyAtlas

I believe you all left out a ‘c’ in the word antarCtica…

a

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I tried every variation of the spelling I could think of but never found the link to your site. Try it again.

Down here the Kapitan Kelibnikov (spelling) is the only cruise boat that can this far south. I understand it’s an awesome trip out of Hobart, Austrailia. They visit all the historic huts left over from the early days of Antarctic Exploration and because it is a converted icebreaker, they can push into McMurdo every year around January. I’ve heard it’s expensive. Some say between 5 and 15 thousand dollars US depending on the length of the trip. I think they once did a monthlong trip here. Can’t confirm any of that though.

Most of the people on this site are people who get to antarctica by being employed here. The contract length vary. In general there are 3 seasons. Winfly- Mid August to October, is the season where early contingent personnel fly in to help get the base ready for the summer rush.  Mainbody-October to February is the summer season where most of the science takes place.And Winter- February to August where a smaller group stay over basically to rebuild the base and do major maintenance for the next season.

Few people just do Winfly. Most do either Mainbody or Winfly-Mainbody. There are up to a thousand people or more here then.  200 or so stay the winter. My longest contract was a Winfly-Mainbody-Winter-Mainbody stint for 14 months straight on the ice. Took off 2 weeks and did a 2 month contract in California, helping get the supply ship loaded, took of another 2 weeks and came down for the current winter season.  Whew, I’ll be ready for a break.
    Mike

MightyAtlas

Yo, Mike —

The link they’re trying to provide is the same one in their original posting:  http://www.cruisesantarctica.com/antarctica-travel.html

They misspelled it, and forgot the .html .  Still doesn’t really go anywhere.  I have yet to see any personal postings.

Hope the winter is going well.  Guess you’re in full-time darkness now.  Ahh, I remember the days…

Give Lorie my best.  See you in August.

a

Hi Mike and Mighty,

Just cannot get the spelling right of Antarctica….. the page I was trying to refer to is:
    http://www.cruisesantarctica.com/anterctica-travel/

I can imagine why nobody can find it… antErctica…..

Anyways, seems your Kapitan Klebnikov looks completely the same as the Kapitan Dranitsyn ,

Will have to adjust that error one of these days…

Stef

Kapitan Klebnikov from Australia?

Kapitan Dranitsyn was with a Russian crew and russian captain,
    and we embarked in Ushuaia, South America.

Maggie n Stef

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I was wrong. I looked it up and the Kapitan Klebnikov leaves from Lytleton, New Zealand. Near Christchurch. Last year was a 29 day cruise to all the historic huts. Here is the link i found.
    http://www.naturalist.co.uk/cruises2006/explorers.php

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.