Antarctic Trivia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Been There

Hey does it count that I know Mike and Ray?

BT

m0loch
    Keymaster

It definitely counts…and it’s also why we can’t let you win.

and Bill, yes, the mural is signed

Been There

Have a look round Palmer for some of Mike other art work. Should be a weather vane on top of the sauna and a krill on the wood stove, orthats were it was last time I ws at Palmer.

BT

skua77
    Keymaster

BT, well I know Scott as well…
    Spidey, I really didn’t think that would be googleable, but with putting in the names, it came up.

http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/pastIssues/2001-2002/2002_01_06.pdf That is actually an exellent art article…although there wasn’t a photo of the fuel tank art.

spidey
    Participant

I think I got it with” mcmurdo mural tank” though obviously it is in palmer. It was on the the first page of results.
    The internet is a dangerous thing.

Mradyfist

Name three countries with permanent stations in Antarctica which don’t have a territorial claim on the continent.

I had an advantage on that one because I happened to know it was Palmer; when I first started considering this job I read an account from someone at Palmer and was focusing on that station.

Been There

Russia, United States, Italy, India, China, five enough?

BT

Mradyfist

@Been There wrote:

Russia, United States, Italy, India, China, five enough?

BT

Technically Italy’s permanent station is jointly owned between them and France, so that’s only 4.5 – still enough, though.

Been There

Check again. Italy has two stations in Antarctica, one shared with France, Concodia, and the other at Terra Nova Bay, Zuchelli Station.

OK let’s see…..how about the name of the base on Anvers Island before Palmer Station and the country that operated the station? And Old Palmer does not count.

BT

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Base N, and it was the Brits.

Mradyfist

@Been There wrote:

Check again. Italy has two stations in Antarctica, one shared with France, Concodia, and the other at Terra Nova Bay, Zuchelli Station.
    BT

I was thinking of permanent as being permanently staffed as opposed to just permanent, but I guess that doesn’t really help if I don’t mention that context in the question.

Been There

Glenn,

British Base N is correct. You are up. And for extra points, what does FID stand for?

BT

spidey
    Participant

FID could be looked at a few different ways.
    Its actually a tool used for splicing rope, but from that its evolved into a term for using the incorrect tool or making do with available options rather than doing it the way it was designed to be done. Similar to a more common but politically incorrect phrase describing a way of “rigging things.”
    It was also the name of an area adjacent to the Ross Dependency during the earlier part of the century which was central to the sovereignty claims being made by the Brits, Norweigans, Germans, the US, France, as well as Chile and Argentina in the 1940’s.

Been There

Spidey,

FID was the Falkland Island Dependencies or the Falkland Island Dependencies Survey. In 1962 is became the British Antarctic Survey or BAS. Not close to the New Zealand claimed territory, the Ross Dependency.

FYI the United States has never had a territorial claim in Antarctica. Seven countries have territorial claims (New Zealand, United Kingdom, Australia, Chile, Argentina, France and Norway). The Antarctic Treaty skillfully deals with the issue by stating that nothing any country does during the period of the treaty adds to nor detracts from their right to make a territorial claim. The Treaty was signed by 12 nations in 1959, including the seven with claims, and came into force in 1961. Today 46 nations are members of the treaty, representing 2/3’s of the worlds population. And the Antarctic Treaty has no end date! Wonder document.

End of lesson 😀

BT

spidey
    Participant

Danke for the correction.
    I was basing some of that off a passage in Peter Belk’s Book ” The International Politics of Antarctica”. He wrote that in 1939 Norway moved to advance a territorial claim to a sector adjacent to the FID in order to pre-empt any German claim to the area. he also went on to state that the area marked out for the US, which he described as the sector between the FID and the Ross Dependency, was not claimed by the Americans partly due to the impact of the war and inaccessibility and economic unattractiveness of the sector.
    From all of that it seemed I made it out to be an area next to the Ross dependency.
    It makes a lot more sense when someone who knows what they are talking about explains it to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.