Antarctic Trivia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

Something tells me it’s either BT or Jules

will
    Keymaster

What about the Commander?

spidey
    Participant

So what happened to Atlas’ post about RA? It looks to have gone missing.
    I wonder where Karen J is in the standings. She’s been around for a while.

Been There

Lost count long ago! 😀

BT

skua77
    Keymaster

My first guess was going to be BT, but I’ve been beaten to that one. Depending on the technical rules of the question, it might be Gerry Ness, who as far as I know still holds the record of 15 winters. Since they weren’t all consecutive, does the season after the winter (when he left) count as a “season” as well as the season when he arrived/wintered?

It certainly could be Cmdr. Or Karen J, met her last November and she is back again this season. Or how about Rae Spain? She’s back this season as well, and I remember her as well as Cmdr and Jules from the 80s. One more guess is Rob Robbins.

Sorry for the multiple guesses, but that’s leading up to my real question…is the answer out there? I spent about 6 years collecting what I now believe to be the definitive list of SP winterovers, and I wasn’t really sure I had them all until a couple of years ago when I stopped getting emails saying “what about me?” And these were comparatively easy stats to define, plus it helped to actually have photos with captions. And no, NSF didn’t have all of the data.

Been There

I pulled out my log book a while back to count the number of years when I was home (not in Antarctica some place) for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve in the same calendar year. I went back twenty years and didn’t find one so I stopped looking…and I was only back to 1986-87. 😆

BT

Kelly74Q

I think Robbies first season was 79-80 at McM, and Jules was either 78-79 or 79-80 (I think at Pole). I’m not sure about Rae, 80-81 or 81-82 ? Commander was there before 79-80, but had left by 05-06. So I’d say Robbie or Jules.

spidey
    Participant

So does that make BT the record holder?

Been There

BT doesn’t care…..and many of his deployments where for less than the entire austral summer. Most long term types don’t really count the time they spent in Antarctica after you get over one hundred months. 🙄

BT

Iceman

I don’t know if Rob Robbins stayed for the entire summer season everytime he went down, since he started, but I think he’s been down the most consecutive years. I’m pretty sure he’s well over 200 months of ICE time, also a current record.

spidey
    Participant

So give us a fun Question Iceman!

Iceman

@spidey wrote:

So give us a fun Question Iceman!

Actually I was going to post the question of who has the most ice time ever. I know it’s Rob, I just don’t know how many months he has total.

skua77
    Keymaster

Iceman,
    I think it must be Rob, but I just asked him if he skipped any years since I first ran into him at Palmer in the 80s. By the way, cmdr, whom I also met at Palmer around the same time, has abandoned the USAP, but he is at Summit for yet another winter.

skua77
    Keymaster

Well, I still don’t know if Rob is the record holder, but he did just tell me that he is in his 31st consecutive season. He is now in McM, got there on Winfly, leaves in early December, and will leave later that month for a couple of months at Palmer Station. And he’s in his 199th month of ice time at the moment.

This could certainly be the record for both ice time and consecutive seasons unless BT digs back into his log book a bit more. Maybe someone in town can ask Jules and Rae (Rae should be at the Dry Valleys somewhere).

thepooles98
    Keymaster

My Co worker tells me Jules is on her 31st consecutive season as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.