Antarctic Thriller Novel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jcbrewer

About a year and a half ago I began writing a thriller novel set in Antarctica.  After a lot of work I am finally finished and my agent in NYC is shopping it around to publishers.  Since I used this site extensively in the research, and Mike Poole and a lot of others were very helpful and seemed interested, I’ve made the book available on CafePress.  You can find it at http://www.cafepress.com/JohnCBrewer .

I really think anyone interested in Antarctica or McMurdo will find this book quite interesting.  I mean, how often is a Bldg. 155 DA (Dining Assistant) a major character in anything?

John C. Brewer

jcbrewer

Oh yeah.  There are two novels on this site.  The Antarctic novel is “The Green Hajj.”  The other novel is about North Korea and nuclear weapons proliferation.

JCB

thepooles98
    Keymaster

John, I glad to see it got published. We are half a week away from station close, so there is not enough time left to order it and get it delivered. Hope it’s a run away best seller.
    mike

I’m ordering a copy now, shall let you know mike, may bring a copy or two down next August for the lounges.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Thanks lucky
    I can’t wait to read it.
    mike

Dah dah dah.

OK folks, I have finally finished the novel, I will not og into why it took me so long, for that story please visit the Tiki Bar topic.

To begin with, great idea, reall yout of left field and along the alternative aspects of fiction which I enjoy a lot. Maps. The map of the ice is a good one but in reprints I would suggest using one which shows more land masses around it so people have a point of reference, there were a few little slips in describing building placements and such but nothing major or important. The Icers came off seeming a little hippied and a few more people talking nice about the French would have balanced it out more like MaacTown actuall yis, you may wish to stress more of the more conservative people who are there also. Not all people go through psyche evals, only those for winter contracts, FDX boots are not usually worn by anyone who has been before and newbies are able to find something in Skua charity piles to wear so they do not have to, MCM doesn’t really get muddy, the snow melts and forms rivulets and chasnnels are scraped also to flow water away, apart from those issues and a few I can’t recall, as well as about 5 typo’s a great read. Loved the Dante’s references also. Better never head down there, after the descriptions of the Antarctic women? suicide trip.

OK Mike, story includes a plot to interfere with certain aspects  which concern Icers in the short term and the world in general. I thought the plot was going to get out of hand when I got into the middle but the flow went well and the story did not rely on any miracle assumptions to save the day, logic and thought processes with some luck thrown in also. Main characters are real enough to like and want to know more about and protray the diversity of folk on Ice, a former beaker working the beat, a former listener working a menial job to escape the world she thinks she made worse, a lot of weirdo’s and people who actually remind me strongly of those i have known on Ice. Just under 200 pages and got through it in a week when I had time to sit and read, I really looked forward to opening it up and getting to the end, laughed a lot, not at the book but the memories of those it brought to mind. If you are staying through Winfly Mike I shall get the book to you so you can rad it before leaving and then I can place it in the Cal lounge or library.

JCB, if you want to get in touch with me about the issues covered or the slight errors, you can reach me through the profile, again, great read.

Lucky.

Hunter

How often is a building 155 DA a major character in anything? Well, just about every day! The place is like a mini-series. You oughta go down there. Everyday is a new adventure! H.

I tried to get cameras in the bathrooms last year. MacTown, the new unreality show.

You know they would never base a reality show there as it would ruin the feel and the mystique of it all if they saw us walking around in t-shirts and shorts most of the season.

PrairieDog

Speaking of Antarctic novel’s, Nick Johnson’s book (Big Dead Place, inside the strange and menacing world of Antarctica) has been published. I couldn’t put it down and really enjoyed reading it. I doubt if Raytheon and NSF enjoyed it as much . I think it’s a must read for anyone with Ice time or anyone going down there.

Original Message

To: Antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 10:19 AM
    Subject: Re: Antarctic Thriller Novel

New Message on Antarctic memories

Message 7 in Discussion

How often is a building 155 DA a major character in anything? Well, just about every day! The place is like a mini-series. You oughta go down there. Everyday is a new adventure! H.

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
    http://groups.msn.com/Antarcticmemories/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you’ve forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
    http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the “Remove” link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click “Send”. Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group’s mailing list.
    Antarcticmemories-remove@groups.msn.com

thepooles98
    Keymaster

All these great books and I’m stuck here for the winter and can’t get them. So I have a question. Do you think Big Dead Place is an accurate representation of your life down here or more of a tongue in cheek amusing look at things?
    My view is that the things they write about happen, but as many literary endeavors they take the little things and make it sound like this is how life is all the time. It seems to me that most people are disconnected from the incidents that the BDP writers portray. To me we are working for a big corporation and it’s not a lot different from any other big corporations. Maybe better than most. What do you say?
    mike

PrairieDog

Speaking for myself, my year at Pole was the most amazing experience for me. I think that Big dead place is factual and I have experienced some of the issues he addresses. You are completely right in that we work for a big corporation down there and in the intensity of our lives there issues that would be irrelevant in America become huge on the Ice. Add to the mix the high turnover rate and sometimes inexperienced management and the potential for individuals to be unfairly treated increases. The growing size of the stations and the decreasing isolation with the use of iridium, and voip has made for a changing culture. I would never discourage anyone from going there( in fact I highly recommend it) and as with many things in life I think experiences are what you make of them. I think most people have a great experience on the Ice. Unfortunately for the ones who do have problems, there seems to be little recourse for them…
    The book also describes everyday life and work especially in Mactown and I enjoyed his blue collar perspective on what its like there. I would like to winter at Mactown one year and his book gave me some insight into what that would be like. Also its fun trying to figure out who is who in the book

Original Message

To: Antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:21 PM
    Subject: Re: Antarctic Thriller Novel

New Message on Antarctic memories

Message 10 in Discussion

All these great books and I’m stuck here for the winter and can’t get them. So I have a question. Do you think Big Dead Place is an accurate representation of your life down here or more of a tongue in cheek amusing look at things? My view is that the things they write about happen, but as many literary endeavors they take the little things and make it sound like this is how life is all the time. It seems to me that most people are disconnected from the incidents that the BDP writers portray. To me we are working for a big corporation and it’s not a lot different from any other big corporations. Maybe better than most. What do you say? mike

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
    http://groups.msn.com/Antarcticmemories/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you’ve forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
    http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the “Remove” link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click “Send”. Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group’s mailing list.
    Antarcticmemories-remove@groups.msn.com

Hunter

Big Dead Place is, sadly, entirely factual. And, no, RPS and NSF are not happy at all about the reports. They hate bad press and there’s really no shortage of it. Fuel spills? ‘Copter crashes? We’re not perfect?!? BDP does help you to laugh at the absurdities of some of the policy and practices instead of becoming furious. Who’s the publisher? Where can I get a copy? H.

rocky

Hey Lucky,
     Don’t think cameras in the bathrooms would be a good idea. You may recall  that someone spent the night dozing on the can on the 2nd floor bathroom of 155.

Did I say which bathrooms? Heard there was a few doing that last year, in Cal and elsewhere also, damn dryness hits harsh and dehydration gets the alcohol hitting the system faster. Fun to see the newcomers falling to it on their first night though.

jcbrewer

I actually used the “Big Dead Place” website as a resource when writing “The Green Hajj.” And, having worked for government contractors for a number of years, I found the general tone to be similar to that which I’ve experienced. Always, it seems, management knows less about what is going on and more importantly, about what NEEDS to be done, than anyone else. And like the managers I’ve worked for in the aerospace industry, they always seem a lot more concerned about the size of their bonuses than about anything else. I’m not sure why that always happens but is probably related to the fact that people who are greedy are motivated to become managers while those who enjoy their work aren’t. The result, the people at the top don’t know what’s going on. I don’t see why RPS should be any different just because the jobsite is so different.
    JB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.