Antarctic Chess Championship

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Iceboard Archives Antarctic Chess Championship

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

itʹs startedǃ the antarctic chess championship, organized by the french base dumont dʹurville. good on yaʹ, dʹudesǃthe players are:bird island (uk)amundsen-scott (usa)dumont dʼurville (france)belgrano 2 (argentina)halley (uk)esperanza (argentina)rothera (uk)palmer (usa)casey (australia)notably absent: russia, mcmurdo, scott base (nz), germany, and any asian country. the organizers tried to get asia or russia playing too but did not receive any responses. the problem may be limited email access, although that doesnʹt explain missing mcmurdo and scott base. oh well, we would have just clobbered them anyway (although i would expect the russians to kick everybodyʹs a$$). <ǃ-- s:wink: -->ʹʹ:wink:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:wink: --> palmer is represented by yours truly, and iʹm playing two games at once: black against belgrano2 and white against casey. it goes at a slow pace, about one move per day.john at casey appears to be a casual, in-it-for-the-fun sort of player, although weʹve just started so he may have some surprises in store for me.roberto at belgrano2 is an enigma. his english isnʹt too good and my spanish is even worse, so iʹve been translating everything with altavista babelfish and being careful about the bizarre way this translator tool likes to mangle meaning.roberto started the game with the réti opening, interesting but somewhat daring i think. hypermodern openings like the réti use a kind of wing attack that iʹve never been fond of; i prefer a full frontal assualt like ruy lopez with only minor sniping from the sides. but he quickly deviated from the standard opening (at least, the only one iʹm familiar with) and has ventured into uncharted chess territory. at this point iʹm confused: heʹs either fumbling around, or iʹm about to get a serious spanking.stay tuned chess fansǃ more exciting action to come…

Anonymous

i hope youʹll be posting the moves.

Anonymous

hi mirageǃ the palmer/casey game so far:palmer (white)……casey (black)pawn e2-e4……knight g8-f6knight b1-c3….pawn e7-e5bishop f1-c4….pawn h7-h5knight g1-f3….queen d8-e7 (ǃ)pawn d2-d3…..queen e7-c5yeah, i was caught offguard by the queen action, and having it squatting near the center power squares is especially irritating. bringing your queen out too soon is termed early queen development (eqd), and in tournament play is generally a no-no. in speed chess and fast-paced street games it can be very handy, psyching-out your opponent to make some quick scores, but in a methodical match itʹs usually a bad idea. your queen is a high value target, and easily chased all over the board by your opponent — causing you to lose time while they develop their pieces. itʹs so anathema to my style that i didnʹt even consider that he would do it. all these years and iʹm still learning…this position looks simple but it was very vexing, primarily because it annoys me to make purely defensive moves without attacking. i think john, my opponent, was fishing for a quick queen-knight checkmate. i may be enjoying a pleasant mid-winter stupor at the moment, but iʹm not about to let that happen. the problem is that most of my easy attacks to chase it away will cause other weaknesses, and if heʹs good heʹll exploit them. maybe iʹm reading too much into itʔ then again, maybe heʹs toying with me…and hereʹs where we went with it:pawn h2-h3……knight b8-c6pawn a2-a3……what iʹm doing is pretty obvious at this point, *if* it succeeds. but iʹm not going to reveal my strategy here because i think john has internet access and might just be reading this. <ǃ-- s:-) -->ʹʹ:-)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:-) -->a picture of the board as it stands:

Anonymous

yoǃ this is where the action is. the moves so far:belgrano (white)……..palmer (black)knight g1-f3…….pawn d7-d5pawn b2-b3…….knight g8-f6pawn d2-d4…….bishop c8-f5pawn c2-c4……..pawn e7-e6bishop c1-f4……knight b8-c6knight b1-c3……bishop f8-b4rook a1-c1 ǃ …..knight f6-e4bishop f4-d2…..at this point i have roberto boxed-in fairly well, in full retreat. i havenʹt seen such a compacted board in a long time. for a while i considered castling or some other kind of pawn-pushing defensive move, but iʹd lose the initiative. and if i were in his position iʹd grab any chance to break out, probably with knight takes knight (c3xe4).should i go easy on my international colleagueʔ back off and reflect that narrowly-focused greed has been my downfall many times pastʔ nah, my instincts are to press the attack and go for the jugular. bring out the broadswords boysǃ……………………..bishop b4-a3rook c1-a1 (ʔ)….bishop a3-b2his rook is living on borrowed time. maybe other pieces too. if youʹre going to pull a killer rabbit out of a hat, roberto, now is the time. one way or another, thereʹs going to be a bloodbath…

Anonymous

go for it glenn, they asked for players during the last all hands meeting, but there were no takers. i think winfly is around the corner and everyone is feeling the end of the season closing in. mike

Anonymous

i see you donʹt have much competition down there, glenn. you should win both games easily.

Anonymous

hi mike. wow, 200 people and no takersʔ yeah, must be winfly syndrome. i do wish they had started this a bit earlier, at the pace of these games it might take a month or two to complete each one. but then most of the players are probably going to be on the ice into december or later.g

Anonymous

yeah with the first plane in 4 weeks. everybody is focused on getting the runway going. weʹve started packing as well. i canʹt see getting too involved in anything long term at this point. knock out the competition for the rest of us. itʹs definitely getting a glow on the horizon in the afternoon. iʹm guessing another week and weʹll be calling it dawn.

Anonymous

@mirage wrote:

i see you donʹt have much competition down there, glenn. you should win both games easily.

thanks… iʹm doing okay, if i donʹt make some totally boneheaded move. canʹt wait to play the french — i like to think theyʹll give me a whuppinʹ. strange to say, but if iʹm playing good itʹs fun to play against someone even better. sharpens the olʹ neurons…

Anonymous

so iʹve had belgrano on the run, although theyʹre not far behind. still, roberto says that until now three of them (ǃ) have been playing me but now itʹs the whole station. yowǃ

Anonymous

hey glenn, how are the games going. any more moves yetʔ

Anonymous

yeah, belgrano ended up winning. they [mysteriouslyʔ] got a whole lot better when the entire station started playing. iʹm trying to be a good sport about that. <ǃ-- s:丨 -->ʹʹ:丨ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:丨 -->i just finished the game with casey too — i won that one. johnʹs quite an interesting guy, we had a wonderful conversation and exchange of photos while the game was going on.these games take waaaaay too long, and too much mental energy. iʹve got to bow out of the tourament because my replacement will soon be here and weʹll be up to our necks in turnover tasks. iʹd be willing to do a quick game or two over hf radio maybe.g

Anonymous

good grief, glennǃǃ i donʹt see how you could possibly have lost that game against belgrano. could you post the moves that were made after the ones you already postedʔ iʹd really like to see how the game ended. thanks.

Anonymous

a rare and seriously long distance game…one man against an entire station, unbeknownst…hmm..dunno what to think of that.oh well. guess the turn-over is getting geared up all over the ice.

Anonymous

yep… iʹm not sure what to think either.and very insightful of you: yeah, the turnover is beginning everywhere. iʹm swamped and havenʹt had a chance to post the rest of the moves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.