All the new jobs have been uploaded to Rayjobs!

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics All the new jobs have been uploaded to Rayjobs!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Iceman

At 12am this morning (March 1st), all the new seasonal contract jobs were uploaded into Rayjobs, about 190 of them. I recommend applying ASAP, especially the way HR works. Good Luck!

silentsports

Thanks very much for the FYI. Although I’d been following “rayjobs” and checking most every day. Might not have checked on a Sunday. I’ve submitted several, what is the normal time frame before you generally hear anything?

Iceman

Other people might be better with the time frame, because it has changed a bit over the last few years. But typically if “they” (HR) deem you meet the minimum qualifications, they will send you an email seeing if you are still interested in the job and if you are, I think then they send you the Hireright form/application to fill out, then pass your resume onto the hiring manager. That might take a few weeks or so.

So the hiring manager is forced to look at candidates not based on worth, but time of application and number in the requisition queue (that’s why it’s important to get your resume in ASAP and hopefully you meet the minimum requirements). And then they are allowed to see 10 applicants at a time to avoid from picking the best in the overall lot, which could be hundreds, depending on the job. For some reason, this is what HR has determined the “legal” way to screen through the list of candidates that they deem to meet minimum requirements for the job.

Then from there you’ll hopefully get an interview, then sometimes they’ll do a group interview after that, then if you’re the chosen one, offer you the job (primary or alternate). That’s when all the paper work is sent to you and the PQ process begins.

eiryie2

Thanks for the heads-up Iceman!

Is anyone else having an issue where you’ve submitted for a position, but the status in your submission list is blank? I have one position that says “received,” but there are also a few which don’t display any status. I applied for them all yesterday, so I’m just curious as to whether the blanks are normal. I’m probably just being paranoid, but I’d hate to assume everything’s fine and then find out later that none of my applications ever went through. 😯

silentsports

I received e-mails indicating all of mine had been received. What about you.

eiryie2

I got an email for the 1 position that is showing as “received,” but nothing on the ones that have no status showing.

Mradyfist

Does anybody know what’s going on with the jobs site today? Yesterday, there were 200 jobs listed, and then for a couple hours this evening it’s been down, and now it’s back up but the jobs listed are down to 194. I’ve already applied for the Computer Technician jobs, but my girlfriend is trying to apply for the Administrative Assistant and GA positions, and they’re no longer on the site. Is it possible that they were filled within the space of a day?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Most likely, the system received enough applications that the job posting was removed (perhaps automatically). For the AA and GA positions that’s not surprising — there’s a lot of people who want to apply. Have the jobs been filled? Probably not. They’ll plow through the first round of resumes, do some interviews and maybe hire a few people. If the jobs are not filled at the end of that time they’ll be re-posted.

Bottom line… check back regularly for openings. They’ll probably come around again.

glenn

Mradyfist

Thanks Glenn, that’s good to hear that they’re probably not completely filled just yet. I’ve already applied for all the IT jobs I’m qualified for, but she was just finishing up her resume for the AA position when it disappeared from the site.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

We saw this a lot last year. The jobs would be on the list then off right away, only to pop up again.

I think our biggest advice at this point is to have all your ducks in a row prior to the postings for the job you want and then be one of the first to apply. It gets you ahead of everyone else.

Mradyfist

That’s the plan. Luckily, I still had a tab open with the AA job up when they took the listing off (I’m one of those compulsive new tab guys, I keep about 30-40 open at any given moment), so I printed it to a PDF for future reference. I had an advantage because I had just rewritten my resume for another IT job that I didn’t get, so it only needed minor updates. My girlfriend hadn’t messed with hers since she got her current job, and she wasn’t sure which positions she wanted to apply for anyway so there wasn’t much she could do.

capnsteve
    Participant

I applied for three jobs and one is already in review. It only took 2 days to go from recieved to in review. Hope all goes good and I get an offer. Good luck to all who is applying.
    cap’nsteve

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Good luck Steve. Nice to see you on the boards. It took me a bit to figure out which Steve worked so much at the VMF. Both you and “M” trying to go down again? This whole HR process is still a bit new to everyone, so keep up the reports. For the rest of you Steve has previously worked in McMurdo. It will more than likely give him an advantage, but the process will still be the same.

If he gets picked up the next step is to fill out the Hirerite applications. This initiates all the background checks. Once that is passed he should get his medical packet. Best advice to all is to get it done as quickly as possible. It’s the biggest thing that will knock you out of the process. A pretty fair number of people get asked to do follow up tests. If you wait too long you may not have time for the tests. Dental as well. Expect if you still have wisdom teeth that you will need to have them removed before deployment. Winter PQs obviously are stricter than summer.
    Once PQ’d all you have to do is wait. Barring funding cuts eliminating jobs. (sometimes happens at the last minute) all you have to do is sit back and wait for your ticket.
    Mike

flynpngn

I suspect that not all of the hiring managers are on board in Colo rite now, so it may be a week or two before some of the apps are even looked at by human eyes.

Mradyfist

So if I’ve already filled out the HireRite application, does that mean that I basically have a job assuming that my background checks out and my references are good? Or is there still a chance that they’ll choose someone else?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.