Big V is right. Apply now. If possible make it clear that you can come down on a moments notice if someone drops out. I can see it’s a tough year. My boss told me 80 percent of the department is returning this year. And the remaining 20 percent are people who were on the ice before. Maybe even some ex- Da’s. I don’t know for sure.
I think probably you won’t get through on the phone, but what the hey all they can do is tell you that you need to send in a resume. If you wanted in this year give it a try it can’t hurt.
As far as jobs go, when you go to the job fair next year, put yourself in the best light. Most of the jobs require flexibility, so you may find that you have small amounts of experience in many areas.