USAP Antarctic Employment Information

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics USAP Antarctic Employment Information

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  walterjayg 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

cher99840

I hear you Pete. It’s hard for me, and I am responsible for or to no one but myself. It’s a shame because they limit their options by not moving sooner. That said, I haven’t heard anything yet. I will feel very rejected if I don’t make it down after pondering the subject of their limited options. 😐

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Cher, I’m not sure how you could get pq’d that fast. I would make an appointment now and hope for the best. If you don’t get the call, cancel the appt.
    Sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to a month to get the appointment. The dental can be even longer just to get in. For the dentist, I’ve resorted to sitting in the dentist office just in case somebody doesn’t show up. Sometimes it works, often it doesn’t, but they know you are serious and will find a spot. Good luck with everything.

cher99840

Thanks Mike. Those are my concerns and I plan on camping in the waiting room. My main concern is the treadmill test because an MD has to be in the room and then submit a report. Experience has shown that they don’t respond well to being rushed. Do you know if the testing requirements will remain the same? Are they Contractor standards or USAP standards?

Been There

Medical screening standards are USAP/NSF standards, not contractor standards.

BT

cher99840

Thanks BT. That’s both good and bad news. Good because I know what to expect; bad because the lengthy process of the Stress Test probably can’t be avoided.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

It can be expensive up front, but there are many places that do the stress test. You can sometimes work with your doctor to get you in fast someplace. I’m approaching 60 and had to do it every two years. I think if you are younger it may be less often. See what they call for. Call your contact that hired you and find out when they expect to send you the medical packet and make an appointment for a full physical.
    The paperwork will tell the doctor what they need him/her to check and what extra tests if any are needed right away. They will send you a blood kit, but I always found it faster and safer to use a contract blood lab. i don’t know if that is an option for you but it’s a lot more reliable than sending samples back by mail.
    good luck.

cher99840

Getting all my stuff done in Denver on my way back home to Alaska. The medical people in KY all but laughed at me when I told them about the time frame.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I was wondering if they still had the Denver option. Good luck on all the tests.

cher99840

That option is still available and the people involved are fantastic. Dr Harris and his staff are unbelievably delightful to work with and I would choose to come here even if not in a time crunch. I’ll be moving on tomorrow and just hope that 1) Medical moves thru my results quickly; and 2) Results will show that I’m as healthy as I think I am.

What’s going on with everyone else anyway? I seem to be the only one talking about my progress. Are some of the rest of you scheduled for an Oct 2 ice date?

Mike, thanks for the good wishes. This is a very supportive group.
    Cherie

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Cherie
    I’m glad the medical went smooth. Here’s to smooth sailings for the rest of it.
    As far as people posting. It’s a contract changeover year with everyone basically starting from scratch with an unknown employer. Raytheon was very HR conscious and tolerated and maybe even encouraged people to talk about the things that were good as well as bad.

Having gone through a contract changeover, I can tell you from experience that people don’t like change, and a new contractor brings lots of it. It will take a year or two for them to work out the bugs of what works and what doesn’t and I would expect that within a few years the new changes will be the norm and people will not want to see them go away either. Keep that in mind when you get down there. The changeover year can be great or challenging depending on how you view it.

Posting about your likes and dislikes about your boss, jobs, working conditions etc at any workplace not just the ice, has always had a potential to backfire. It’s not just your friends who read these posts. Keep that in mind as well.

It’s too early to tell with the new group whether they will tolerate the openness so i would expect anyone going down to be very careful about what they post on the internet for the public to view.

For those of us not going down it’s a little easier to chat and pass on what others are saying without being worried

jpan18
    Participant

Getting in late on this discussion, but just wanted to say CONGRATS, Cher! Not only on the offer, but going the extra mile (literally) to get all through all the PQ hurdles!

hooray!

skua77
    Keymaster

Ditto on that, Cherie! Glad to hear you made it through…

cher99840

Thanks for all the support. I did make it just as scheduled…arrived on the ice last Tuesday. One of my bags didn’t fare so well and is still in NZ, but at least it is no longer “lost” and will show up space available. It is really good to be back.

jpan18
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your bags, Cher. But glad you made it there safely! I’m seething with jealousy, but sending you well wishes and best of luck on this upcoming season! =)

spidey
    Participant

Did I see a post come and go here for some rare positions?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.