How far are you in the process?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics How far are you in the process?

This topic contains 788 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mineobile 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 790 total)
  • Author

kmsdo

Iceman- just got my itinerary yesterday and tix today for October 1st – Denver, October 7- iceflight so they are coming.

Iceman

@kmsdo wrote:

Iceman- just got my itinerary yesterday and tix today for October 1st – Denver, October 7- iceflight so they are coming.

They’re finally making good progress on the ice runway, and hopefully it will be ready for Mainbody, which is only 2 and a half weeks away.

linglinrtw

@kmsdo wrote:

I am also on the Oct 1 to Denver, iceflight on Oct 7 schedule

AGE Dave

I’m scheduled to Denver the 4th of October and I am guessing my ICE flight will be on the 9th or 10th…..for whatever reason, I seem to have seem pushed back from my normal deployment times.

AGE Dave

@linglinrtw wrote:

is it possible for someone at the mccurdo station to go to pole, say for a mini visit?

There are usually a few boondoggle flights for workers to go to SPole for a few hours….sometimes just long enough to run to the station from the skiway and get a stamp on the passport….but these flights tend to be a lottery and the seats are usually given out by each department to “worthy” workers.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Dave, it looks like you and I are on the same flight. The dates were pushed back because there are no hotel rooms left in cheech. I heard we only have 200 rooms available at any one time.
    As of today, I still haven’t been ticketed. I’m getting a little antsy.
    m

Josh

Just got dates, have yet to get tickets. Anyone have any input on who and if I should call about that? First time on the ice and I’m getting a bit nervous.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Josh, they are way behind this year. Because the potential loss of the icebreaker meant they didn’t know how many people were going down unti just a few weeks ago. I got my ticket email today. Flying to Denver on the 4th of October and on to MCM on the 10th. If you are worried, you can call RPSC. Listen to the recorded announcement and hit the button for travel. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they have to call you.

I also got an info sec email today. It was everything to know about getting your computer through the hoops. Most made no sense to me. I’ll do the updates and leave it to them to tell me the rest.

Josh

Thanks, first timer here and more than a bit nervous about the whole process.

@thepooles98 wrote:

Josh, they are way behind this year. Because the potential loss of the icebreaker meant they didn’t know how many people were going down unti just a few weeks ago. I got my ticket email today. Flying to Denver on the 4th of October and on to MCM on the 10th. If you are worried, you can call RPSC. Listen to the recorded announcement and hit the button for travel. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they have to call you.

I also got an info sec email today. It was everything to know about getting your computer through the hoops. Most made no sense to me. I’ll do the updates and leave it to them to tell me the rest.

Been There

Josh relax and enjoy, you have gotten through the hard part. There will be plenty of old hands at your orientation you can hook up with as you make the long flight south.

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’ll second that, Josh.
    Get yourself to your airport of departure. Make all the connections and arrive at Denver on your own. There will be a fair chance that you will be riding the shuttle to the Denver Hotel with Ice People. The Red Lion is the hotel I’m going to. I think it’s the main one this year. They have a bar/restaurant there. Again chances are if you pop into the bar and listen there will be ice people there as well. Most of the old timers will help you get situated. Just find somebody and hang with them until you feel comfortable to go it alone.

There will be a day and a half at the minimum of training in Denver. After the first bus trip you will get to know most of the people on your flight. After the second day of training you and your luggage will be put on a bus and will be driven to the airport. Check your luggage all the way to Christchurch and carry a hand carry bag on the plane with you.

I have two bags. The first is a laptop. I put it in the overhead on the plane. The second is a hand carry. It has one change of clothing in case they lose my bags. I also have snacks, a music player, noise cancelling headphones, books, crosswords ect. It goes under the seat in front me. That way I can access things during the flight.

At Los Angeles you change to a Qantas flight. Just follow the crowd. We normally get a special bus to get us through to the international terminal. Make sure you do this as it lets you bypass all the security stuff heaped on you for leaving the terminal and coming back in again.

At Aukland you pick up your bags and go through customs. When done you recheck them to Christchurch and go to the domestic terminal. Most of us like to walk the half mile or so walk, but you can take a bus if you want.

At some point we should get emails on what hotel we are in in Christchurch. We get coupons that pay for the shuttles.

Mostly through all of this you follow the other people who have been through it before.

What are your flight dates?

Josh

Not sure of what my flight dates are. Only dates I have at the moment are 10 October to 20 Feb. Done a lot of traveling, never left it to what seems like the last minute to know the details though so I’m a bit hopped up.

AGE Dave

I was ticketed on Sept. 6th, had itinerary emailed to me and I too will be staying at the Red Lion, arriving on the 4th and leaving for LAX noon the 6th. Looking at the flight dates to and in NZ, I figure I will be deploying to MCM on the 10th of October….just a guess.

trumpetguy25

Josh —

Have to agree with Dave and Mike. Dave set me straight last year before I left and helped convince my family that this was a legitimate thing and Mike (and all the other vets) showed me the ropes once I got to Denver. I came to realize that the folks who had been down there before WANT to help you – they remember what it was like being a FNG. Just relax and roll with it (Semper Gumby). The old hands will make sure you make it down there. I think I lucked out, though, and got one of the best orientation groups.

Listen to these guys (and gals). Keep asking questions. I spent my orientation in “sponge mode” and didn’t really talk to a whole lot of people until we left for the airport — up until then, I just soaked everything in and listened to their stories.

Mike will tell you something along the lines of Antarctica being more than you can possibly expect. He is 100% right. I’m closer to some of the people I spent six months with down there than people I’ve been friends with since high school. It was the most awesome experience I’ve had and I hate that I’m not going to be able to make it down there this year.

Cheers,

-Brandon

Josh

Thanks for all the reassurance, guess I’ll see you all in a couple weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 790 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.