How far are you in the process?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics How far are you in the process?

This topic contains 788 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mineobile 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 790 total)
  • Author

tehashi

Aw, bum luck there Neutron, was the turn down for all of the applications or just one?

Update on mine;
    Got call from the hiring guy at Nana Services and went over the job with him. Afterwards he had the application sent to me on monday, faxed back in on tuesday. Now i wait, again.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Tehashi, that’s a big step. Congrats.

❗ Neuter (and others), be aware that you may not be able to re-apply for a job even if they re-post it. My experience has been that they need to post it again with a new Job ID number, otherwise the system won’t let you re-apply. Most of the time they use the same Job ID number although there are some exceptions.

Neutron

Congrats and well done Tahashi! I can confirm that the waiting can be excruciating, but I’m guessing it is an unyielding part of the process.
    The rejection ( 🙁 ) notice I got was only for one job application. I have 4 others pending currntly in the “received” column still. Hope springs eternal…
    @sciencetech wrote:

❗ Neuter (and others), be aware…

Glenn…puhleez tell me that was your fingers having a Freudian moment… Geez, now I’ve got to go check my shorts, and convince my dog I’m still the alpha guy around here.
    Good thing I don’t have a fragile psyche 😎
    Seriously, my continued thanks to all you ice vets (Mike, mOloch, Rox, Glenn, Doc, and yes…you too Atlas if you are checking in, et al) for your advice and good natured support. I, for one,greatly appreciated it.
    Have a good Friday all!
    Bill

spidey
    Participant

I found the slip amusing.
    I got an email from one of the people I’ve been corresponding with regarding Winfly.
    At this point there are only alternate spots for it, no primary assignments. This may be the way they always do it, but according to one of their friends wintering over, they were told they would be there until October.
    I guess this means its still up in the air and nobody really knows anthing.
    My line of work has not started doing interviews it seems, so hopefully the ball will get rolling again shortly.
    The only change of status on my apps was the one I got in on March 11th. Anything I sumbitted later is still just “recieved”.
    Have a good week everyone!

-Pete

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@neutron wrote:

Glenn…puhleez tell me that was your fingers having a Freudian moment…

Must have been my spell-checker getting a bit uppity.

For people who are interviewed, here are some terms you may want to know ahead of time:

USAP — US Antarctic Program, pronounced “You-Sap” (phonetic jibe strictly coincidental, if apropos). Formerly the “US Antarctic Research Program”, or USARP; a bunch of years ago they “took the Research out of the Program”.

WINFLY — Short for “Winter Fly-In”, although nobody ever calls it that any more. WINFLY is usually a few early flights that arrive around the time of the first sunrise in McMurdo, typically the week of August 19th or thereabouts. Only a limited number of people come in during that time, and (in my experience) it’s only five or six flights, or less.

Main Body — The end of September/beginning of October when everybody else arrives. The traditional start of the summer season.

NSF — National Science Foundation. Them that run the show.

Event — A project, usually science, funded by the NSF.

P.I. — Principal Investigator. The head researcher for an event, the scientific big-cheese.

Grantee — An event team member.

MAPCON — The tracking database used by the USAP for inventory and logistics.

tropo

Howdy!
    I was waiting to either get a offer before I introduced myself. Well, I did, and here I am! I haven’t received my actual offer left, but I was contact by HR today. I was offered the Primary position on South Pole station as a Comm Tech. Needless to say, I am pretty excited!

Well, just thought I would poke my head in, and say hi. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

DedEye

I’ve likewise been waiting to get a contract before registering, but unfortunately don’t have the good news yet and have instead lost patience and decided to make myself known. Been lurking since this was an MSN group, read nearly every discussion and have generally been trying to get a contract for the last year.

Where I am in the process:

I sent in my first app on 3/3, heard back two days later with a HireRight request. Last year I applied in June for another tech position and it took until August to hear back, so I thought such a fast reply was a good sign. If it was or not, I don’t know, since I’m still listed as “in review” for that position. I applied to five other positions on 3/9 (all but one are IT/tech, the other HR), and listed as “Received” for 3 and “Not in consideration” for the other two. Sent in one more app for one last position on the 13th, and am still listed as “received” there.

My tally so far: one in review, two rejections and four received.

I’ve emailed the initial RayCats employee who contacted me a couple times since and just been told to wait, which I’m still trying to do. Last year when I heard back in August, it was to fill out the HireRight profile, after which I heard nothing until I kept calling and someone in HR finally told me that the primary and alternate positions were filled; it wasn’t until at least a month later that the RayJobs site updated to tell me what I learned on the phone.

My analysis: Hurry up and wait SUCKS.

spidey
    Participant

Just as an FYI, during the submission of your application if you answer no to any of the listed requirements, it automatically sets your status to “not in consideration.”
    I found that out the hard way. There was a job with 10 listed requirements. I was awesome at 9, but hadn’t done number 10. I answered truthfully on the list and guess what happened.
    Sort of like applying for a sous-chef slot after being the head chef at a 4 star Michelin restaurant, but they ask if you have ever served eggs benedict at brunch.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Congrats Topo
    Will be looking forward to meeting you. SPole opens a bit later than the Mcmurdo Mainbody on Oct 1st. In order to land a plane at the pole, they have to wait until the temperature is warmer than 50 below zero. Below that temperature the hydraulics and fluids on the plane start to get sluggish. The date varies from year to year. Sometimes the polies will be in MCM for a week or more waiting on the pole to warm up enough to fly in. One year at winfly we had a similar experience at Mcmurdo. It was one of the first flights that were to take the winterovers back to New Zealand. It was hovering around 45 below zero and they landed the plane, but the temps dropped while the plane was on the ground and they couldn’t get the flaps to work. The military wouldn’t take on passengers for safety reasons and flew back to NZ empty, much to the chagrin of 50 packed people standing outdoors prepped for warm weather in 5 hours. Oh well, More hurry up and wait.

Dedeye, it seems from this board that there is a dirth of IT applicants this year. Might be part of the problem. Is this a trend in the business right now? Too many applicants? I don’t know. This has been said a lot before, but for new applicants, there is a flurry of hiring as the season openings draw near. Right now there are tons of people in the process who have received letters and are doing the PQ process. There really isn’t any way to predict in advance which of these people have no intention of going down, can’t pass the physical, or will wait too long to take the medical exams. I know it sucks, but the only option is to still wait. At least you have a person to keep in touch with. Without being a pest and if they give you permission to do so, I would drop a line now and then to let them know I’m still interested. Remember that you can easily be a pest, so be gentle about it. Many of the frontline managers will welcome the contact if they like you. Others hate it. No way to tell in advance without chatting with them on the subject.
    M

Mradyfist

@thepooles98 wrote:

Congrats Topo
    Will be looking forward to meeting you. SPole opens a bit later than the Mcmurdo Mainbody on Oct 1st.

Do you know when people generally will actually leave for Denver to head out to McMurdo for either a position there or at the Pole? I’m assuming that there’s a little bit of a layover there, plus possibly a longer one in Christchurch, and then off to the Ice; I’d also assume that since South Pole opens later, people headed there generally leave for Denver later as well. We’re in full end-of-the-year mode at my school, and I’m trying to get a handle on how much time I’d actually have at the start of next school year to get things figured out before I’d have to leave; we start again on Sept. 8th, but I’ll bet that if I was leaving I’d want to come in during the workshop week before that, especially if I was leaving a week or two after that. I feel bad for whomever would replace me if I go, fall is not a pleasant time to be learning the ropes at a school.

I admit, while I sympathize with everybody else who is applying for IT and hasn’t heard back yet, it also makes me feel a little reassured to know that there are other people who are still in the same boat as me. And I guess it’s a good sign that they have more qualified applicants than usual, at least if I get a spot I know I’m in good company.

Ridgewood

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Ridgewood, you are well on the way.
    I wouldn’t buy anything yet, especially if it’s expensive. For the most part, unless you are already some kind of extreme outdoorsperson, you can get by with the issue gear and regular old clothing you would wear in the winter back home. Mostly I live on peoples discards in the skua piles, but I’m not particularly and outdoors type.

Mradyfist. Since the number of people who can get down at one time is pretty limited to one flight every other day or so, the starting dates for arrival on the ice will be spread out from around the first couple of days in October until the end of October. You won’t know for sure until you are ticketed. Every boss starts out wanting their employees down early, but there just isn’t enough room on the planes. Backtracking from your arrival on ice, you will usually arrive late in the day in Cheech, have one full day and then fly on the third day. Backtracking again, the flights and layovers with driving time, will last just over 24 hours from the time you leave the office in denver. At a minimum you will arrive in Denver late in the day, have at least one full day, then a half day and leave around noon to go to the airport. If you have special training you could stay longer.
    Thats 2-3 days in denver. 1 day flight time, Lose a day for flying over the dateline, and 2 days in Christchurch. If the weather is bad on the ice, you will be delayed in Cheech. The average delay is a day or two, but it’s not uncommon to be delayed a week or more.

DedEye

@thepooles98 wrote:

Dedeye, it seems from this board that there is a dirth of IT applicants this year. Might be part of the problem. Is this a trend in the business right now? Too many applicants? I don’t know. This has been said a lot before, but for new applicants, there is a flurry of hiring as the season openings draw near. Right now there are tons of people in the process who have received letters and are doing the PQ process. There really isn’t any way to predict in advance which of these people have no intention of going down, can’t pass the physical, or will wait too long to take the medical exams. I know it sucks, but the only option is to still wait. At least you have a person to keep in touch with. Without being a pest and if they give you permission to do so, I would drop a line now and then to let them know I’m still interested. Remember that you can easily be a pest, so be gentle about it. Many of the frontline managers will welcome the contact if they like you. Others hate it. No way to tell in advance without chatting with them on the subject.
    M

Hi M,
    I’d blame the economy. It does seem like everyone with any relation to IT is applying (such as myself :D), but I never applied in the past except for last summer, and I don’t know how many folks were applying for IT back then. Most of the FNGs here on the board (myself included) are talking about the IT jobs, so… yeah.

It’s funny, shouldn’t the hiring process of only giving ten or so applications to the hiring managers prevent an inundation from having an impact on the hiring process? After all, they’re supposed to hire the first person they come across that’s eligible and a good fit for the job. I guess lots of folks apply and don’t understand that “really really really wanting to go to Antarctica!” is enough? How long does it take a hiring manager to go through ten people’s applications and get phone interviews? Is it that someone from that list of ten potential employees gets selected and starts the PQ, and only if they don’t pass does the hiring manager continue through his list of ten?

The person who emailed me from Raytheon isn’t someone I know, so I’m especially wary of becoming a pest.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

For Dedeye and others who are waiting, waiting…

There may be any number of reasons why things are delayed, this time of the year is surprisingly busy at the RPSC office.

If you care to know… The managers are planning the upcoming year, ordering supplies, and attending more meetings than humanly possible. They’re also receiving and processing the “Support Information Packets” (SIPs) from the funded grantee events. These thick documents (actually all electronic now) detail the science groups’ requests for everything from IT support to helicopter hours; the company then has to respond with how they will meet those needs. With dozens of science events, hundreds of employees to hire, and tons of food and supplies to order and ship, it’s a madhouse.

Sadly, hiring often lags behind everything else because of deadlines and a general lack of time to interview people. In some departments, the number of people to be hired may also be vague or unknown until the necessary level of support has been determined.

This is not an apology for the slowness of the system, just a bit of inside info.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I can add to Glenn’s post.

A really good example of something that can delay hiring is funded projects. NSF can state they want a project for this year, but until they fund the money all anyone can do is plan a little. If the project isn’t funded until the end of the summer, everyone involved has been on hold waiting for the money. Field camps are notorious for this. The money gets funded in Sept and NSF and the rest of the world expects that by October 1st everything will be bought, all the construction has been planned and everyone has been hired, even though they have given only a few weeks.
    Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 790 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.