How far are you in the process?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics How far are you in the process?

This topic contains 788 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mineobile 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 790 total)
  • Author

doc

So those who’ve been stating “hurry up and wait” are spot on. Having gone through the process since 2003 and watching it grow more HR heavy, it is slow and has slowed down. Occasionally you’ll get lucky and get through in a hurry, usually not though, especially not this early in the hiring season.

The process works something like this: apply to Rayjobs, wait for app to get to HR eyes, make or break the first cut (1-4 weeks). Get rejected or moved on to Hireright process (2-4 weeks). Get placed in queue and sent on to hiring manager (2-4 weeks or more depending on candidates). Get contract, start PQ process (1-8 weeks).

Hiring managers get applications that make it through the HR gatekeepers in groups of ten. They have to go through each application, in order, and either accept the applicant for an interview or provide a justified reason to HR as to why they are not. If they get through all ten apps, they then have to go back to HR to get another ten, this sometimes requiring HR to start the whole process over and open up the job for posting on Rayjobs once more. This is also why getting your application in very early is ideal, particularly if you know the hiring manager and they want you back. They lack the ability/authority to skip straight to your resume/app and must reject (appropriately and justified) any apps in front of yours first.

Mradyfist – as returning employees, the only way for us to get a leg up on the process is to apply while we are still on the ice for an internal slot (never well-timed and it doesn’t work, for example, if you are summering and wanting to apply for the next summer – they never post the openings in time – usually best for winter to winter). We do have some heads up (if we’ve friends on the inside) as to approximate posting dates on Rayjobs, so we can be first in line, but otherwise we receive no preferential treatment. It’s actually one of the bigger gripes for returning OAEs…we have to fight the same struggle with HR every year.

Anywho, hope that helps explain it…I know that the wait can be frustrating as all hell. I sailed through quickly this year but call that lucky. In 2007 I applied in April and didn’t have contracts in hand until August.

One thing of note – if you’ve gotten to the PQ portion – do it now! That way, if anything odd comes up, you have time to deal with it and/or get a waiver. If not, and the deadline to deploy is coming up, they might just shift your position to an alternate.

Best of luck, all.

-doc

Mradyfist

@doc wrote:

Hiring managers get applications that make it through the HR gatekeepers in groups of ten. They have to go through each application, in order, and either accept the applicant for an interview or provide a justified reason to HR as to why they are not.

So if I have applications that are “in review” which I’ve gotten a response for and filled out the HireRite, does that mean that they’re in one of those groups but haven’t been bounced off a hiring manager? I’m assuming that if I don’t get accepted for an interview on one of those positions that I’ll get an email to that effect, or it will at least change to “not in consideration” on the My Job Submissions page.

Also, what does it mean if my resume qualified for a higher level position (Sr. Comp Tech) but is still in the “received” category for a lower level equivalent (Comp Tech)? Do they pass you on to the higher positions first, and then only review you for the lower position if you don’t qualify for the other?

spidey
    Participant

Perhaps later this will deserve its own thread as more people get offers, but for now I’m just optimistically looking ahead.
    I read about all the teeth Mike and Skua have given up for the program.
    If you need work done to PQ, who covers the tab? Did Raytheon pay for the tooth extractions or did that come out of your own pocket?
    What other type of work is asked for, or just potential tests whose results may be waived or may put you out of contention?

skua77
    Keymaster

Spidey,
    The short answer is that Raytheon doesn’t pay for dental work other than the actual exam. The teeth I gave up for the program (at least before PQing) were paid for by my dental insurance I had from my employer at the time. This was before my 2005 winter, and the real issue here was that I had a lousy dentist, but when you’re trying to PQ around Christmas and you suddenly discover you have a lousy dentist, it isn’t exactly a good time to go find another in a hurry after the Denver dental reviewers found stuff that the dentist missed. And of course I didn’t have to pay anything for geting another tooth pulled at Pole by the visiting dentist in early February, but I did actually almost get sent home instead. That tooth really did need to be pulled, when I saw it I could only imagine what it would have felt like in a few months.

I should clarify that my employer for the 2005 winter was not Raytheon, but they had the same policy.

And I wasn’t done with that dentist. Before my 2008 winter the dental ciinic I was then seeing decided that I needed a bridge replaced that said lousy dentist had put in only 3 years previously. Since my insurance didn’t cover replacing bridges in less than 5 years I had to pay the whole thing instead of just half.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’ve given up three teeth for the program. None of them hurt at the time, but the dentists all said sooner or later they would be problems. Raytheon doesn’t cover any procedures other than tests. The heart tests were expensive. 3 grand up front. I didn’t have insurance at the time. It was all reinbursed. So along the same lines, if I had needed a quadruple by pass, Raytheon would not have paid for it. Based on how easy it is to flunk the medical side of things, I’m pretty amazed that you can pass the dental with just a tooth pulled.
    M

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Pete, there isn’t a lot you can do in anticipation of getting a contract. You are just going to have to sit back and wait. Just get everything done fast if you get accepted.

Superhero, —-might be a little over the top.

Every job is different, but in general, a good employee has the required skill sets, is flexible (nothing on the ice is like the real world), can learn new tasks, and can work either as a team member or alone as needed.
    M

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

4 teeth…

fyancey

Uhm wtf?
    If we get chosen we have to flip out 3000+ dollars for med exams?
    Uhm. I’m unemployed.. and no money. How are people supposed to cough up cash like that? Doesn’t really matter if we are reimbursed.. that’s
    going to be a pain in the #$! to manage.
    Don’t they have any other ways to resolve those kind of issues?
    What about the waivers? How does that work?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The medical for most would pretty much be a standard physical for your age group, whatever that would normally cost. You pay up front or submit to insurance and get reinbursed for your out of pocket expenses. It’s the extra tests ordered when the first tests show problems that can run up the costs.

It used to be that if you lived in the Denver area, you could go to the company doctors there and have the expenses direct billed. That was only in Denver and I don’t know if it is still in effect.

Some will take the tests and charge to a credit card, then use the reinbursement to pay it off. If you have questions, once you sign your offer letter, get in touch with the medical dept for up to date info.
    M

doc

Still good to go for direct billing if you’re in the Denver area. You can arrange through RPSC contracted groups for all tests, nothing out of pocket. The downside is that it is limited in location (southern Denver) and only works if you are out here or can get out here on your own.

Mradyfist –
    Hiring managers, when they see your app, can consider you for higher-level positions. I’m not sure of the nitty gritty involved in that, but know that it can happen (personally and through word of mouth). As for where you are in the process? Once the website lists you as “in review” that’s as much as you will know until hearing from a hiring manager for an interview or from HR to arrange your contract. I can’t speak for anyone in the office directly but the relationship between HR and the hiring managers is seemingly very distinct and (for a variety of reasons) of limited interaction. There is passing of accepted applications from HR to the hiring managers and either accepted apps or requests for more apps from the managers to HR. You won’t be seeing much more for updates online…

Again, it’s a hurry up and wait attitude. Not fun, but nothing any contractor or applicant has the power to change or speed up.

As for teeth, I can play devil’s advocate in this case and say that I haven’t had to give any. It all depends on your medical makeup, your doctor/dentist, and the RPSC/NSF review of your records. The best you can do is get it done early, fast, and efficiently (make no mistakes and triple-check your paperwork, call RPSC medical with questions to clear up uncertainties in filling things out, ask medical questions of your personal doctor, etc.). If you do that, the chances of coming out clean in the medical crapshoot are greater. Also, the younger you are, the less-expensive/complicated the process will be. The healthier your family background of disease, the less complicated the process will be.

m0loch
    Keymaster

@fyancey wrote:

Uhm wtf?
    If we get chosen we have to flip out 3000+ dollars for med exams?
    Uhm. I’m unemployed.. and no money. How are people supposed to cough up cash like that? Doesn’t really matter if we are reimbursed.. that’s
    going to be a pain in the #$! to manage.
    Don’t they have any other ways to resolve those kind of issues?

So…I’ve always said that the one thing that all of the Ice People have in common is that we REALLY want to be there…if you really want to go to The Ice, you’ll find a way to manage….The PQ process takes a lot of people out of it because of the cost associated with getting teeth fixed or other extra medical stuff, but teeth is probably the biggest deal-breaker out there. Now, if the dentist finds a problem, it’s probably something worth considering getting fixed – if left alone it will likely only cause problems in the future when it is more expensive to fix and insurance companies don’t like fixing pre-existing conditions so even if you do get insurance in the future…..you still may be stuck with the bill.

Now, for a couple of patented m0loch tricks…Some hiring managers issue alt. winter contracts with their summer positions. In order to winter, you have to take the psych eval. The company will fly you to Denver and put you up in a hotel for a night. If you’re offered an alt. winter contract (or primary for that matter) AND if you reckon that you’re in reasonably good physical condition, AND you want to risk putting off getting your medical/dental done, you can, theoretically wait until you’re in Denver for the psych and do all of it there. It would require you to stay a few extra days (don’t forget, the TB test can’t be read until 48 hours after administered) – lodging would be at your expense as would a rental car or other ground transportation – in my mind, it’s well worth it. If you do it in Denver at the company approved practitioner, you don’t have to worry about the reimbursement paperwork, there is less potential for a breakdown in communication between your doctor & the co. medical folks. There are caveats to this though….for instance, if you NPQ on the psych you could potentially be NPQ for your summer contract as well. To the best of my knowledge, there is no waiver for the psych. Another thing to keep in mind….and I’m not advocating dishonesty, but on the med questionnaire that deals with family history….well, the definition of family is a bit vague (to me at least) AND …well, I’m not a doctor or even a family historian so maybe I don’t know every ailment my kin have ever suffered….just sayin’

Neutron

Got a eeek-mail message from Raycats. Basically their response was, ‘thanks for playing, and we really appreciate your submitting an application, but keep trying… 🙁 . Oh well, I’m so far 0 for 1 with four more still sitting in the “received” pile. I hope, at least, I was nudged out by a returning ice person.
    No worries though, it’s all about doing the happy dance and “Wishful thinking,” right?

spidey
    Participant

We’ll do some happy dances for you. Lets just assume that was the position that was your least favorite.

MATKATAMIBA

1)Applied on-line in late February (technical/professional position)
    2)received email asking if I was still interested three weeks later
    3)sent HireRight log-on information by email immediately after replying that I was still interested
    4)before I could fill out the HireRight form I was called by HR to schedule a telephone interview
    5) had interview one week later
    6)two weeks later received notification by mail that I was selected as the Alternate

Total time: six weeks.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Neutron, I see no harm in reapplying for the job again with a more targeted resume, if they repost it.
    M

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 790 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.